Students

Graduated for a year... still no position

I was hoping you could all give me some advice.  I have been graduated for a year now and STILL have not been able to find a full time position.  I have a degree in (international) communications and marketing and NEVER in my life did I think it would be taking this long to find a job.  I have tried applying to everything from nonprofits to corporate and even took an unpaid internship for 8 months while I searched for a full time position.  I have recently been approached to become an insurance agent and I'm scared that if I take this, I will have a difficult time finding a position with my field later on.  Or that I will be stuck in this profession for a lot longer than a few years.

At this point it is the only thing that has come my way after countless hours of networking and jobsearching.  So I have considered grad school, but I'm afraid that I will spend X more money on a degree that probably won't recoup that money back for a VERY long time.

So my question is,.,, Is getting a masters really worth it?  or should I take a position that I'm not particularly interested in just so that I can relieve myself of the exhuasting job hunting process.

I know that this decision is ulitmately mine to make but I'd like to hear from some of you with masters/higher education that could maybe give me some perspective.  Or if any of you are insurance agents, could you give me an inside look into the career? Thanks so much!

Re: Graduated for a year... still no position

• I was in your position a few years ago. I graduated with a BA in Psychology and had a difficult time finding a job. I ended up taking a job at an Internet company. I'm glad I did though because it confirmed my interest in the social work field and I left a year and a half later after finding a social service job. I'm now in grad school and I attend classes after work. I would suggest grad school only if you are 100% sure that a degree in communications and marketing is what you want. You will be spending a lot of money, or taking out a lot more loans, so you want to make sure the degree is worth it. Also, taking the insurance agent job may make you feel better. You'll be out networking with people, will feel more positive about your situation and you can always continue to look for work in your field. Don't give up, you will find something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • since the job market is so bad, some newly graduated students are really effected by it. a few majors that are effected the most is psychology and communications. my boyfriend majored in psychology for his bachelors, but could not find a job and returned to get a masters in computer science. my friend who graduated with a bachelors in communications, is back at school getting another bachelors (in biology now).

you just have to decide what is best for you. do you want to spend more money getting a masters somewhere? you could also have a full time job while getting your degree (which is what my boyfriend did). you could also just take a job (a job that isnt necessarily the best) and stick it out until you find a good oppurtunity elsewhere.

i also think a good idea would be to get into a union. teachers get the best benefits, and they guarantee you a job if you plan to leave for an extended period (ex: having kids). a friend of mine has been out on maternity leave for the past 6 years (only about 5 months of that she actually stepped in class). while she was on leave she still had her health benefits, which paid for her children being born. (10k a pop). im seriously thinking of getting certified. lol. you also get PENSIONS!

you should also look into radio stations and tv stations. they are always hiring interns for paid work. good luck !
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards