Students

What do you want to do career-wise/ what are you studying for?

Sorry if this has been discussed before---I've never posted on this board before and don't feel like digging through old posts. I just graduated undergrad (early, before tuition increased. Score.) during the summer. I was a Poli Sci major and did a lot of language (Spanish/Portuguese) and history courses too. I've applied to law school but the way things are right now with the economy I'm leaning towards post-poning that or exploring other options and fields. 

So, what about everyone else?

Re: What do you want to do career-wise/ what are you studying for?

• My undergraduate degree is in Literature. And I'm almost done with my law degree. Criminal law is my favorite and I want to be a prosecutor.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_want-career-wise-studying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:0fc9bc48-c664-4686-8668-d3ee369e775aPost:b924af98-ef2f-413a-9c68-4136ac2ac133">Re: What do you want to do career-wise/ what are you studying for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't count on law. There's a glut of attorneys.
    Posted by TarponMonoxide[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's part of why I'm getting cold feet. I've been hearing this a lot.
  • I am in vet school right now.  I want to do Large animal (food animal) medicine/ Public Health/ Foreign animal disease control
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I'm hoping to go into financial advising for yound couples. I will graduate in May with a B.S. in Finance and Management and am hoping to get on with a company before going to grad school so they will pay for it.
  • My undergrad is in chemistry and I'm getting a PhD in biochemistry.  Right now I want to be a professor someday.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just completed my undergraduate degrees in Biology and African American Studies. Hopefully I'll be in dental school in 6 months and studying to become an orthodontist (if I have the endurance to go for 3 more years after the initial 4 of general dentistry).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • I'm working on a bachelors in Advertising, but with no intention of going into the industry. Lonnnnnng story, lol.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm working on a bachelors in human biology and minoring (maybe double majoring) in Spanish. Hopefully going to med school once I graduate.

• I have one bachelor's in biomedical science, and am working on a second bachelor's in nursing. wanting to be a labor & delivery or NICU nurse upon graduation.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I graduated in May with a degree in Psychology and minors in Spanish and Sociology.  Right now, I am working on my Master's in school counseling. 
    August 2010's LAST Siggy Challenge: Favorite Picture of Us
    imageBIO Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Undergrad: Journalism
    MA (in progress): US History
    PhD (hopefully): US cultural history

I hope to become a college professor, but I'm open to teaching high school or working for a foundation/historical organization.

I currently work full time in marketing and go to school part time. PhD will of course be full time.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Hi! New here too! I am a 4th year Medical student; BS was in Biology and Philosophy. About to start a 5 year residency in Radiolgy - the light at the end of the tunnel is just starting to become visible!

Oh and I am also in the Army. 

Nice getting to know all of you! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So ya'll make me look very unambitious. 

Studying Industrial Design (product design and the like), no idea what I'm doing when I graduate in a year and a half.

I'm going to end up looking for a job where every my FI finds one.
  • My major is communications with a minor in PR. Pretty much with how things are right now my goal is to any job at all that has something to do with my degree once I graduate. But I still have 2 years so things could definatly get better before then.

• I have a BA in Psych, but I might go for the MA, but I'm afraid to start now and have to be in classes during the wedding.
  • TriSaratops:  Radiology really????  That class is about to make me pull out my hair haha. Then again I am glad you are doing that so I didn't have to (that is, if I did MD over DVM of course)  Good luck with all your studies I hear 4th yr med is pretty much a breeze (relatively speaking)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I'm going for pharmacy and I graduate in a little over 2 yrs!

Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  •  aggiebug- It really is quite nice; esp because the military residency match is MEGA early (in Dec vs March for everyone else) I have 2 months of nothing to do (they give you a couple of months to interview, since everyone else has to skirt about the country trying to get a residency spot)!!  I am in total lazy mode, catching up on all of the world events, ie trashy tv. It is the first time in years that I have been able to just watch tv guilt-free!!! (I KNOW you know what I meanWink). Are you at A&M by any chance? (took a guess from your s/n) I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad - so I feel a connection with the corps and all Smile What yr are you??

• pooh- I'm also going to be a nurse and would like to work in maternity!  I work as a nursing assistant there now, so hopfully there will be a job open when I graduate and I can get right into it!
    siggya>
  • My undergraduate degree is in Communication Disorders and I'm currently in grad school for Speech-Language Pathology then off to get my certification in Applied Behavior Analysis.

I can't wait to be Mrs. E. Love, M.S., CCC-SLP, BCBA haha a little much?

• Oops,  I want to be a speech-language pathologist and behavior analyst specializing in autism spectrum disorders. 
  • tmwagner, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a job opening for you. I'm in the job hunt now, and holy crap, jobs galore in Houston. the nursing shortage is very real.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Trisaratops- Yep I am at A&M! I did undergrad and now vet school here.  I am actually engaged to a former corp boy.  He was going to do Air Force but asthma made him fail his physical. 

I am in my 3rd year now, this is my last "semester" like everyone thinks of them.  In May I start clinics!

I am quite envious of your guilt free tv watching, I watch TV and pay for it later
    Fred Rogers
  • I just graduated in December with a BS in biology. I always wanted to do something with animals, but it's just not feasible (FI is pre-law, have to get a job where he goes and that pays better). So right now I'm working on my high school science certification. I just applied for a job working at a nature center with little kids, hoping for that so I can at least be doing hands-on science education.
  • I graduated in May with a BS in chemistry, concentration in forensic science and minor in psychology.
    I am now working on my MS in forensic science and will hopefully be done in May 2010 if all goes well with the master's research and thesis.
  • Im in school hoping to start my Radiology program June of 2011. Damn pre-reqs LOL.
  • Currently I'm going for my M.E. in special education mild/moderate
    Next step, Ph.d in school psychology, but that might need to wait a couple of years... we'll see!
    "Gone to Carolina in my mind..." image
  • So my undergrad degrees are in Cellular Neuroscience and Religious Studies.......though that has very little to do with what I'm actually doing now.  I finish my MBA in Pharamceutical and Healthcare business this summer and then I'll start law school in the fall of this year.  I plan on working as an intellectual property/patent law/contract lawyer for a major pharmaceutical company.  Though I know there are too many lawyers.....I don't think that's true for very specific, niche lawyers in some of the less popular areas (i.e. no divorce, malpractice, etc.). Or at least I hope so!!
  • I'm going to graduate in August with my BA in Fine Arts with a specialty in Graphic Design. Which sounds ridiculous. For whatever reason, the school I go to doesn't offer a plain out degree in Graphic Design. But the main campus in Columbia does...hm.
    I'm thinking about starting my MFA in the next year or two after graduating, we'll see. I am really needing a break right now from school. So if I go for it, I'll probably go part time.
    My absolute dream job would be book cover and layout design, maybe with a little illustration on the freelance type side. But there are not many publishing companies where I am, and I don't feel comfortable being more than 1 day's drive from home because my Mom is in such bad health.
  • i am and agriculture education major. i could teach or do just about anything in the agriculture field, but i prefer to be a stay at home mom (it'll be a while till we have kids). my fiance would love it if i could stay home, but financially that ain't gonna happen if i can't find something to do at home that could make money. we r toying with some ideas: babysit a couple of kids (we have cozy lil house), cake decorating, sell cookies and/or something else online, sell produce and/or baked goods at the farmers market.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards