Students
Options

Break for Semester?

I'm considering either taking off the entire semester of my wedding(4.28.12) or just taking 1 or 2 online classes.

Thoughts?
Photobucket .:.Marci.:.
image Of 155 invited:
image 74 Will rock out the night!
image 11 Are party poopers!
image 70 Are procrastinators!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Break for Semester?

• Options
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_break-semester?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c233e61-56b2-4416-8027-d7f169782e5bPost:b34a906b-8c19-454a-ac59-016a55713647">Break for Semester?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm considering either taking off the entire semester of my wedding(4.28.12) or just taking 1 or 2 online classes. Thoughts?
    Posted by marcellah[/QUOTE]

I have always placed school as a top priority. For me, this wouldn't be an option. If I felt that my wedding would interfere with school I would do the wedding either when I was done with school or on one of my breaks (summer, winter).

If these are the only 2 options you will consider, I suggest the online classes.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Since school is such a top priority of mine I would say online classes.
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would still take some classes.
  • Options

Hey!

I’m in school rite now too and soo many of my friends have been in the position that you are in.  if you take a full course load, it will be way too much to handle while planning a wedding.  Also if you don’t take any classes at all you might never go back to school.  (too many ppl do this and it makes me soo sad L). 

I was in the same position because I was originally going to get married in the same month actually 4.12.12 but I’d still be in grad school and would die doing both.  I ended up pushing back the date, really back.

My suggestion is to take online glasses, maybe electives if you have any left.  I know my school has a lot of 7 week classes during the semester so you would probably be done by the time your wedding comes around.  So def look into that.  Make sure that you don’t forget that school is a serious priority because without an education you’re future might not be as bright as it could be. 

I’m sure you’ll make the right decision for you, whatever it may be

All the best!

LMD9188

• Options
    I would urge you NOT to take the semester off, whatever you do. As others have said, it is SO hard to take off a semester and then go back especially with the excitement of getting married.

School is also my top priority and I'm taking full loads, working part time, and planning a wedding. It's tough, but do-able. If you really don't think you can handle a full course load then maybe you could take the online classes. Or perhaps there's some easy courses you haven't taken yet - y'know, the ones that you can breeze right through and still get the credit you need?

How does your fiance feel about you taking off the semester? My fiance says he won't marry me if I stop going to school! XD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my, I definitely didn't mean to make it sound like school isn't a top priority. That was a reason for putting it on hold. I want to give it all the time it deserves. I guess I didn't fully explain. I'm a Junior right now, but I'm double majoring(journalism and computer graphic technology), so although I SHOULD be graduating the spring of 2012, I won't be graduating until probably 2014 anyway. (This is with 18 credit hour loads and summer classes. I also work 30+ hours a week.)

The head of the CGT department made it so that I'm WAYYY ahead of schedule by substituting a lot of classes, so taking off the semester wouldn't push me back from when I'd originally thought I'd be graduating. 

I thought of having the wedding in the summer, but my sister will be graduating high school beginning of June. At the time I had set the date, my fiance's cousin was getting married in July. So summer of 2012 was kind of shot. 

My fiance just finished school this past semester, so he won't have school to worry about. Just me. 

>.< I'm suuuuch a school nerd. I definitely didn't mean to make it seem like school wasn't a huge priority. Quite the opposite. He proposed 2 weeks before finals, and I got so caught up with wedding stuff that I put school on the back burner for a week... (Luckily I still did well in classes.) Especially with my CGT stuff, I can spend 75+ hours on ONE project, I just don't want to get caught up with the wedding and not do the work I need.

Thanks for all the advice though. :)
    Photobucket .:.Marci.:.
    image Of 155 invited:
    image 74 Will rock out the night!
    image 11 Are party poopers!
    image 70 Are procrastinators!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_break-semester?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c233e61-56b2-4416-8027-d7f169782e5bPost:86fb33ba-4e1f-4f2e-a9b2-9e6745cf37d3">Re: Break for Semester?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my, I definitely didn't mean to make it sound like school isn't a top priority. That was a reason for putting it on hold. I want to give it all the time it deserves. I guess I didn't fully explain. I'm a Junior right now, but I'm double majoring(journalism and computer graphic technology), so although I SHOULD be graduating the spring of 2012, I won't be graduating until probably 2014 anyway. (This is with 18 credit hour loads and summer classes. I also work 30+ hours a week.) The head of the CGT department made it so that I'm WAYYY ahead of schedule by substituting a lot of classes, so taking off the semester wouldn't push me back from when I'd originally thought I'd be graduating.  I thought of having the wedding in the summer, but my sister will be graduating high school beginning of June. At the time I had set the date, my fiance's cousin was getting married in July. So summer of 2012 was kind of shot.  My fiance just finished school this past semester, so he won't have school to worry about. Just me.  />.< I'm suuuuch a school nerd. I definitely didn't mean to make it seem like school wasn't a huge priority. Quite the opposite. He proposed 2 weeks before finals, and I got so caught up with wedding stuff that I put school on the back burner for a week...<strong> </strong>(Luckily I still did well in classes.) Especially with my CGT stuff, I can spend 75+ hours on ONE project, I just don't want to get caught up with the wedding and not do the work I need. Thanks for all the advice though. :)
    Posted by marcellah[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying- and I wouldn't say by any means you are a slacker. I personally feel though, that school should come before wedding. Even if you are ahead.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think you can definitely plan a wedding and finish school at the same time. I am doing it now, so I understand your concern. I am in my last year of school, graduating may 7 and getting married may 28. Even though my wedding is after I graduate (only by 3 weeks) I've had to do all of my planning while taking 16 & 18 credit hours these last two semesters. I think the key is being organized. If you know what you want and keep a list/journal of everything, I don't think it'll be too difficult for you. That is the only way I did it lol. I have 4 months to go and have about 85% planned already. I am a molecular biology major & pre-med, so I am studying to get into med school on top of all of this. Honestly, the wedding planning wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be because I stayed organized, I mean I HAD to in order to do it all at once! If you are worried you won't give school enough attention--maybe you could set certain times to do your wedding planning, like only during breaks or weekends...and you have so much time before your wedding even doing that little bit each month, you could have it all planned by that time while concentrating on school at the same time. Also, give tasks to your bridesmaids or family members (for example...searching for centerpiece pictures or find prices of certain items for you) to do things for you. And knowing that you are in school they will probably be even more willing to help. Ultimately, if you really want to do it, it can be done, you just have to figure out how to work out the time management, good luck!Smile
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards