Students
Options

Is this a good switch?

Currently going for nursing at a community college. The waitlist is three and half years! Right now I am wraping up all the classes I need before taking the nursing classes. I will be done with this in the fall. Then all I can do is wait. I was thinking instead of just sitting around for three years might as well go for something bigger. Physicians assistant is what I had in mind. I want to work in the dermatology field. By the time I graduate from nursing school I would be close to being done with my PA. Would this be a good switch? PA is highly competitive.Or should I just stick with the waitlist. Oh and I would like to get married sometime within the next two years and if I choose PA it might have to be held off until after school. Just wondering what you all thought. Some suggestions would be awesome thank you =).

Re: Is this a good switch?

• Options
    I don't know what the regulations are like in the States, but I know here in Canada that PA's cannot work in every province. There's a lot of controversy surrounding the PA program. Is there a possibility of going to another school? I personally would not just sit around for 3 years.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't sit around for 3 years, but that's just me.  My FI is planning on going to PA school, but we're getting married the summer before he'll start.  If you think that's what you want to do, then go for it.  Yes you may have to get married a little later(the whole nonstop 28 month programs aren't exactly wedding/honeymoon friendly), but if being a PA makes you happy then your FI should understand.  This is one of those instances when you and your FI have to sit down and decide what is right for you.  But mostly you since this is your education.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I would not say nursing and PA are interchangeable, though both are in medicine. Can't tell if you actually have your bachelors yet based on your post...but you need that before PA school. Do your research, talk to some people in each field,  and to your FI, and decide what is the right field for you. But waiting 3 years is crazy for nursing, there are definitely places without that long of a wait.
  • Options
    The waitlist in the state of michigan is right around 3 years or more for nursing. I am currently at the lowest waitlist in my area. Im only 2 and half years into school right now so if I decide to change its the best time right now.
  • Options
    ekm5043ekm5043 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I am actually in PA school right now and it is a great field! Planning a wedding during school is a lot of work but doable. You will just need to make sure you set aside time for both.  Good luck!
  • Options
    A PA is a great job, but PA and RN are very different.  I also would not wait around for 3 years.  Have you considered BSN nursing programs.  These are typically more expensive, but often don't have as long of a wait as community colleges. 

The only thing I would caution you about is to research the PA laws for your state.  In many states Nurse Practitioners have more autonomy and are actually able own their own practices.  While this may not be something you care about now, later on you may find you want the autonomy, so I would encourage you to research MI's laws.

I am an RN, who actually moved to another state because I did not want to deal with the waiting lists in my homestate.  I also just finished the first year of my nurse practitioner program, and believe I have chosen the right path for me to become a mid-level provider.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards