Students
Options

Anybody else?

Did anybody else not do as well as they thought they would've? I still did well, but I know that I could've done better. I think part of my problem was getting engaged about two weeks after classes started and then only wanting to think about the wedding.

Any tips for me for the upcoming semester? On how to deal with school, family, and wedding planning.

Re: Anybody else?

• Options
         Congrats on getting engaged and finishing the semester!  I know it's hard to juggle school, work, and family stuff as it is, and then adding wedding planning into the mix can make everything more complicated.  I would just say you need to figure out what your priorities are in order to have some sort of balance. 
        For me, school always came first, but that's mostly because in my program we have to repeat a class if we get lower than a B, and I definitely didn't want that!  I know there were times when I wished I could spend hours on wedding stuff instead of writing papers and studying.  Luckily FI waited until right after finals to propose (last December), so I didn't have all that excitement to throw me off.  
         I would suggest on choosing a date, if you haven't done so already, that will easily work with your school schedule.  We are getting married in April, which is in the middle of my last semester of grad school, because it's cheaper than getting married in the summer.  However, we chose a venue that is pretty much all-inclusive, so I don't have to go through the trouble of finding separate vendors for flowers, chairs, linens, food, DJ, etc.  I would look into these types of venues if possible, just because it's been so much easier dealing with this one venue coordinator. 
         My last piece of advice is to keep in mind that your wedding is one day, but your education will have a long-lasting effect on your future.  There are a lot of cute ideas I see online and in magazines that I would love to do for my wedding, but the reality is that I simply won't have the time to do them.  At the end of the day, I will be married, and that's the most important part.  As long as my guests are well-fed and have a good time, I know I won't look back and wish I had spent more time planning or working on little wedding projects. 
         Anyway, good luck with school and wedding planning! Hope this helps Smile
    I already made the most important decision- the rest are just details! image
  • Options
    My professor told me I would be receiving an A in the class..I got the grade report and I had a B. I was not a happy camper.

And my advice to you, only let yourself do wedding planning at certain times. Only allow yourself to look at stuff for an hour a night and hold yourself to it! If necessary get a friend to help keep you honest. True you wanna get your wedding planned, but your education is more important.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Your advice has been very helpful. My education is very important to me.(I am going to school for elementary education.lol) I think the excitment of getting engaged, and other girls in the program getting engaged, through me off. I'm trying to get some things decided on during winter break and then when the semester starts using only the weekends for wedding planning.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anybody-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:468ff46c-2f56-422f-b8af-42d6f2fa7299Post:e8d75f97-bac9-45ec-bdd5-e842ed6003c0">Re: Anybody else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! Your advice has been very helpful. My education is very important to me.(I am going to school for elementary education.lol) I think the excitment of getting engaged, and other girls in the program getting engaged, <strong>through </strong>me off. I'm trying to get some things decided on during winter break and then when the semester starts using only the weekends for wedding planning.
    Posted by Purple&7[/QUOTE]

Threw.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anybody-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:468ff46c-2f56-422f-b8af-42d6f2fa7299Post:35409b5c-4c7f-432b-a659-74dbb29e4aaf">Re: Anybody else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anybody else? : Threw.
    Posted by MrsMLRB[/QUOTE]

Thanks for catching my mistake. It was late and I was tired.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good plan.  Get as much done during breaks and weekends as you can.  That's cool that you're studying elementary education!  I'm studying special education and hope to work with high school students.  How far along are you in your program?  I have about three more weeks of student teaching and I will be done with credential stuff.  If you haven't started student teaching  definitely get as much wedding stuff out of the way before you do because it has been really stressful doing it all at once!
    I already made the most important decision- the rest are just details! image
  • Options
    I am feeling the same way. I got engaged in September and couldn't concentrate on my math class this last quarter. I got a C in the class, and I told FI that I wanted to come out with an A. Not only was I disappointed, but he was disappointed. But, I got my carterer booked, photographer booked, and location booked over winter break. So I have lots of the important stuff done. I hope to keep my mind off wedding planning and more on my class this coming quarter. I am studying early childhood education, I am so excited to be a teacher. :)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anybody-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:468ff46c-2f56-422f-b8af-42d6f2fa7299Post:0ffc6b41-6b52-47fd-9aee-e3c045aec6ab">Re: Anybody else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds like a good plan.  Get as much done during breaks and weekends as you can.  That's cool that you're studying elementary education!  I'm studying special education and hope to work with high school students.  How far along are you in your program?  I have about three more weeks of student teaching and I will be done with credential stuff.  If you haven't started student teaching  definitely get as much wedding stuff out of the way before you do because it has been really stressful doing it all at once!
    Posted by sarahlovesiman[/QUOTE]

That's awesome that you want to work with high school students in special education! I just took my programs class for teaching students with special needs and I now have a new found respect for those teachers. It is just not for me. I have a year left after this semester.(I graduate in May 2012) Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anybody-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:468ff46c-2f56-422f-b8af-42d6f2fa7299Post:9d87e931-b0fa-4c1a-bb1e-36066e2a19d9">Re: Anybody else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am feeling the same way. I got engaged in September and couldn't concentrate on my math class this last quarter. I got a C in the class, and I told FI that I wanted to come out with an A. Not only was I disappointed, but he was disappointed. But, I got my carterer booked, photographer booked, and location booked over winter break. So I have lots of the important stuff done. I hope to keep my mind off wedding planning and more on my class this coming quarter. I am studying early childhood education, I am so excited to be a teacher. :)  
    Posted by mrsclark2011[/QUOTE]
    I know exactly how you feel. I finished one of my classes the exact same way. Another future teacher...awesome! Good luck with everything! You've gotten a lot done. I don't even have that much done yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards