Students
Options

Young Brides?

So I've been with my fiance for 3 years and engaged since Christmas Eve of 2010. We're getting married on November 17th 2012. Sometimes when I talk to people about getting married and my wedding plans I get kind of shy about it because I'm only 20 and I can't help but feel like they're somehow secretly judging me about getting married young.

it was the same way when I got engaged and people wouldn't say anything about me having an engagement ring. Or I think my favorite response was oh I just thought It was another ring... And even with my twin sister I feel like sometimes its almost like she doesn't take it seriously like i'm not actually going to get married or something, I don't know.

Like when I go to talk to my Mom or Aunt about it they don't change the subject but its almost like they're uncomfortable, I just feel bad because I just started planning within the last two weeks and every time I call them to talk to them about and idea I had they seem like they're not 100% for it. And don't get me wrong they love my fiance but should I just not worry about what they think unless they voice something. I just feel like I don't really have anyone on my side of the family that I can really like call and talk about ideas and stuff with.

Last night my Aunt told me oh well its pretty far away so we have plenty of time to talk about these things, I was talking to her about have the reception and ceremony at her house. I just feel like okay its week two and I'm feeling awkward when i talk to them about my wedding plans.

And lastly I don't want to overload my mother in law with my ideas and stuff even though she is super creative and all about helping me its like, alright adult figures in my life I'm planning my wedding and haven't done this before, more a support system would be stellar

. I guess I just need to vent a little bit :/

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Young Brides?

• Options
    I'm 20 and my fiance is 23. But i was 19 and he was 22 when he asked me to marry him. It was really weird at first & i had just started a new job and a lot of the girls i was meeting and working with gave me weird looks.....
    However i was only with him for two months before he asked. We've been together for 8 months now but will have been together for 2 years and 3 months on our wedding day.

I have no doubt that we are meant to be. We have been living together for awhile now and he's my best friend.

Around christmas time we watched my brother play in a alumni hockey game at our highschool. We ran into an old family friend who has a son who is currently 22 and in the military. He had just gotten engaged and was telling us about it. We told him that we had gotten engaged that summer.. and he blantantly stared at me and said how old are you? I told him and he laughed out loud and said "TOO YOUNG" and i held my composure but i was quite blown away. His son who is only two years older than me had just gotten engaged. I thought it was rude and it really bothered me.

Since then i've started moving ahead in planning my wedding & i think the excitement and happiness has covered the shyness and almost a sort of guilt for being young.

When people ask why so young.. i say "If you know me  you'll know I'm not someone who would jump into something i'm not ready for or didn't know for sure was right and if you don't know me i can't say i really care what you opinion is"

Can't wait to get married.  :)

Goodluck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards