Students

What do you mean I can't graduate?!?

UGH! Ok so I have to vent for a minute.

So when I graduated high school I started at a small college. I finished my core classes (and 2 years of school) and transferred to a 4-yr university. When I began taking my core math classes, the department gave everyone an opportunity to take a "placement" test. In other words, you exempt the easy classes and supposedly are placed into the class that is best set to your abilities. Well I skipped college algebra (1111), and was placed in trigonometry (1113). Ok-- that's great, I'm "smarter" than the average bear? I can dig it. Whatever.

HA, apparently not because it never dawned on me that my NEXT school, my new university, wouldn't accept this 1113 as a core math class. So I appealed that ruling when I transferred in 2008. They told me that it wasn't a problem; they would accept it since I took it at another school and everything would be fine.

Well it's 2010 now. Time to graduate in December. Guess what they DON'T have on file?

Right. I'm graduating in December with an entire bachelor's degree and I'm missing a CORE MATH CLASS. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. No one that I've talked to is any help at all. I've gotten "you need to call the Board of Regents," "you'll have to take it next semester," and blah blah blah. LOOK people-- if you would have done  your job and kept good records this would not be a problem. I know I'm one in a million to you, but this is very important to me!!! I don't want to have to take ONE class next semester! I want to graduate! Come on!

End rant.

Re: What do you mean I can't graduate?!?

• Do you have a record of them accepting this? I got a class to transfer for a chemistry class here that they at first wouldnt accept but I appealed it and they decided it counted and actually mailed me a copy of the paper, so I made sure to keep that copy in a safe place. That really sucks though...sorry about that.
  • IMO, the people you should talk to would be your advisor/counselor, your school registrar office, and whatever person/department said they would accept your appeal (back in 2008).  You might also want to order your transcripts from all your schools (if you don't already have them) so that you can explain more easily... because, as you know, people are dumb.  Don't give up on it!  I had a similar problem once and my advisor fixed it in about two seconds just by entering a few letters and numbers into her computer.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would start with your advisor. Make an appointment, and don't leave until you are satisfied with his/her answer. My next step would be the Registrar's Office, which can be tricky. I agree with PP that you should get a copy of all of your transcripts so you have something to base your explanations on. Also try to find any documentation you might have about your 2008 appeal. GL! I know how frustrating Universities can be!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_mean-cant-graduate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:548b6a7c-1ca3-4035-9db2-8cf627702f53Post:af94e91a-dea6-4908-a3c9-9b5271e59f92">Re: What do you mean I can't graduate?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a record of them accepting this? I got a class to transfer for a chemistry class here that they at first wouldnt accept but I appealed it and they decided it counted and actually mailed me a copy of the paper, so I made sure to keep that copy in a safe place. That really sucks though...sorry about that.
    Posted by anpayne1[/QUOTE]

You're right, I do remember seeing a paper saying that it was done, but through all the moving I've done (I've moved 3 times since 2008) I have no idea where it is. Hence why I'm so frustrated...it <em><strong>was</strong></em> in my hands at one point. :(

I'm going to the Registrar's office in the morning. And I won't leave without an answer!! I'll let you guys know what happens!
  • alot of people who transfer have this problem (me). one of my math classes "accidently" showed up as a 1 credit elective. lots of universities are really uptight about accepting certain credits and how many credits they accept. thankfully they straightened it out.
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • Are both of your schools in the University System of Georgia? If you completed ALL of your core classes (All areas A-F i think it is?) before you transferred, then your new school has no choice but to accept whatever it is because you have completed all of the core. Once an area is completed it, it is pretty much considered closed and they can't go back and say that a certain class wasn't accepted. It's WHY there is the University System!

If they can't correct this, then I am sure you can dispute it as long as the area where your math class was, was completed BEFORE you transferred! I really hope you figure it out. I've had a lot of problems with transferring to different Universities in Georgia. It is the most frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok so I'm getting bounced around. I still have to meet with the Vice President of Academic Affairs. (good grief) Still more to do.

I'm a Criminology major! What does it matter WHICH math class I took 4 years ago??

Yell
  • I understand where you're coming from.  I graudated in May from Colorado State University.  Three days after my graduation ceremony I was told I was missing three credits..after being royally mad I just say down took the dumb class and got it over with over the summer.  See if you can take the class online!
  • How did you graduate missing 3 credits?
  • I'm having a similar problem right now, my program director quit/fired and there's no records of him allowing me to place my art emphasis in Graphic Design instead of a more traditional art.  I'm supposed to student teach this spring and we just got a new program director a week ago.  I have a meeting set up with her but who knows what she'll say.  All these 18 credit semesters will have been a waste if I can't student teach this spring because of one measly art class.

I transferred too and my new/current school is awful to me.  I didn't know about so many things until my last few semesters.  It's like they don't care about transfers because we didn't pay them the money from the start.  So now I try and help every transfer student I see.

As for advice, does your school have a winterm/summer classes?  Normally those classes finish up pretty quickly and are core classes because every student needs to take them.
  • So I just let it go. I kept getting bounced around and nobody seemed to know who was responsible for handling my situation so I figured there was no need to be stressed about it. I'll just take it next semester and graduate with the majority of my class.
  • Go straight to the top. I have had so many issues with credits and things and I'm not even a transfer. I had to send out simultaneous emails to the heads of all the related departments. I even spoke with the head of the department for my major. The professors at my school are awesome and were able to direct me to the person who could get it all done. It's definently worth it to get this taken care of...think of it this way. Not only do you have to pay for another class you shouldn't have to take...but you're also missing out on a full semesters worth of wages at a job you could have full-time.
  • Do you go to UWG? lol kidding (er, sort of.)

Sorry about this situation :/ So you don't think there is ANY way they will accept it (again) even with telling them it was ALREADY accepted? My bff got all of her credits screwed up by her advisor, but then she took it to the Dean of something something and got it corrected and accepted. Maybe? I would at least keep on trying unless you get an absolute NO from the Dean or whatever. Even though it is annoying. Trust me. To get my 19 hour credit max approved I got bounced around to three different buildings only to end up back at the first one.... Gotta love college. :)

Hope you get this all worked out! And on the off-chance that you DO go to UWG....HI! I'm a Crim minor! haha
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards