Students

Waste of Money

One of my courses this semester is truly the most pointless class I have ever taken and has to be the biggest waste of my money.

Bio-Ethics.

We spend the first half of the class time debating what's new in the news that week. The "pregnant man": Really a man? Prisoners: Should we test meds on them? etc.

No education happening...just students debating.  "I think this...But I think this." You don't have to even have any knowledge on the subject...just say you agree or don't and you've received your "participation points" for he class.  ??? 

Then we break for 10 minutes. Then we meet with the people who are in your group to discuss our "group project" which is just that we will present one of the chapters for debate. My group has "Organ Transplantation."  

That's it...that's the whole class.  No learning...no notes...no lecture...no nothing.  I guess I'm grateful that it'll be an easy "A"...but it's seriously annoying that this is a required course on which I have to spend my time and money.

Uggg...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers

Re: Waste of Money

• I liked my bioethics class, but it was nothing like that...
  • I dunno. Ethics is abstract and personal and can't be truly taught. It's an individual concept and the best way to "teach" it is to explain law and rationale and let the individual make his or her own decision.

I took an ethics class two years ago and it was kind of like yours. We were given issues of concern and had to explain what we would have done and rationalize it. In a sense, you learn more about yourself and other people than the field.
  • That's what an ethics class is like.  You should be learning by listening to what the other people are saying when they are debating, by thinking if you agree with them or not, and by coming up with and learning how to communicate your own views on the topics.  Your class sounds very interesting to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Sounds like half of my required classes now.... I feel your pain.
    Visit The Knot!PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • arg! lol this is why i decided to take online classes. I ended up in too many classes like that even one where there should of been lectures! sometimes teachers that just pointed out what you should read and sent you home! pointless and a waste. i'm likeing the online classes cuz it is part i think this but this is what our text said and then the teacher will join in the discussion and direct it and point of things. everyone participates, you get lots of different view points, and you learn a lot too!
  • That's pretty much how ethics classes are.  A very small part of it is faculty interjecting with the occasional rules/laws, but most of ethics is pretty abstract.  Sometimes it seems like a waste of time, but a lot of really interesting discussion can come out of it, and it really depends on the group of people in your class.  I think I've taken four ethics classes now, and there are definitely a lot of annoying moments (particularly when you have someone really opinionated who just likes to hear himself talk) but there's also a lot of thought-provoking conversation as well.  I've certainly had worse classes in terms of time wasters.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you are premed ethics is essential. Ever hear of the Tuskegee study? Classes like this also expose you to various opinions and reasoning.
  • I am taking this class too and could not agree more.  Don't get me wrong, my professor is AMAZING! but the class is still sooooo pointless!  It does not at all contribute to my knowledge as a nurse and I know I will NEVER use the information again.  They honestly only make those requirements to get more money out of you.  (My college is $840/credit hour and it is a 3 credit course!!!! It's killing me!!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards