Students

End of the year party?

So here's my situation:

I'm a music student who will graduate in May 2011, but my wedding is in December 2010. I don't have a large budget but I have a lot of friends and family. Since I want to celebrate with everyone, I thought it would be a good idea to have two events: 

one in December, right after my wedding for close friends and family, hence a lower guest list and cheaper reception. We're planning on using catering for this event, paper invitations, flowers, etc. It would be semi-formal.

and

one in May, for all my university friends, fraternity brothers and sisters, etc. who weren't invited to our wedding. My fiance and I would hold an end-of-the-year party and celebrate our "six-month-iversery." Haha! This would be a very informal event. My logic is that easy to please college students with kegs, snacks, and sheet cake. It's harder to please family that way.

Let me know your thoughts. I like that doing something like this allows me to have both aspects of a semi-formal and casual wedding. I'm sure I'm overlooking cons.

Re: End of the year party?

• Personally, I don't have a problem with it. However, just because I've seen similiar questions on other boards, I feel like I should share the sentiments I've seen.

Apparently a lot of people think having a separate event for people not invited to the wedding is a big faux pas. It might send a message to them like, "Hey, you weren't important enough to be invited to my actual wedding, but here's a consolation prize."
    Now, I can see where they're coming from I guess, but again personally, I think it's not a big deal. And with your situation, being a student, and probably a lot of your friends being students, or may live far away, December may not be the most opportune time, so having an end of the year bash makes some sense.

Just be mindful that if you invite your "close friends" to your wedding and they're in the same circle of friends who will only be attending the end of the year party, that you might face some resentment. Just to be forewarned. Although I should hope your friends aren't that bitter. :P
  • I agree with PP.  I think it is totally fine, but others might not be so understanding.  Ultimately, it's what you and your FI want though!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards