Students

Newbie Knottie: Wedding Dress....too soon?

So I'm a newbie on The Knot- just engaged on Thanksgiving :)
We set the date of May 26th, 2012 (Memorial Day Weekend) and I'm wondering from all of you student brides-to-be if it is too soon to start looking for my dress? With the winter break from classes coming up, I won't be busy with papers, tests, and classes, so it seems like a good idea. Plus, once school starts back up, I probably won't be able to look until the summer, which puts us at around 11 months until the wedding. Let me know what you think :) 

Re: Newbie Knottie: Wedding Dress....too soon?

• I wouldn't purchase until you're about a year out.  Styles change, new things will come out, and I've heard more than one story of a bride who bought a dress and then found another she loved closer to her wedding date.  Feel free to start looking, but don't feel like you have to buy now, you've got tons of time.
  • I'm getting married this May (2011) - also Memorial Day weekend, yay!

I purchased my dress this past May (2010), so I waited until I was about a year out. I did do one not very serious dress shopping excursion around Christmastime in 2009. Definitely start looking for styles you like, etc. But I would not start seriously looking until 12-13 months out, as other posters said.

Good luck!
  • I agree with the other ladies, I'm getting married June 9, 2012 and also my bf is getting married Sept. 2, 2012 we have swapped ideas and started looking at styles but I really don't plan on buying anything till winter break next year. 
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married February 11, 2012 and will be looking for my dress on my spring break (March 2011). Go over your spring break, or you can push it until your summer break of 2011.
    Anniversary
  • I do not think it is too soon to look. When we decided to get married I went straight out. I found the perfect dress but didn't buy it until october...(were getting married in June)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't think it's too early to start looking. I'm trying to get a lot of the big stuff done over Christmas too since I just wont be home much later. Don't buy anything if you think you're going to end up changing your mind though!
  • I would wait. My wedding is July 7, 2012 and I wasn't going to even start looking until this summer or next fall. Sometimes your weight can fluctuate or your tastes can change so you should avoid lots of dress fittings and possibly finding something you like even more...that would really suck!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would recommend at least looking at styles of dresses that appeal to you.

If you do end up dress shopping and buy one, then STOP LOOKING!  So many brides keep looking at dresses and regret the one they picked.

I bought my dress rather early and impulsively, but since I haven't continued looking at dresses, I haven't regretted that decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the other brides it might be too soon to shop, but I know how you are feeling, anxious. I felt the same way, as soon as I got engaged I started planning the week after. I decided I was going to start looking at dresses and my mom suggested we go one weekend and just check out styles that I thought I would like...I ended up falling in love with the fourth dress I tried on and had to buy it because it was a sale dress (99$ for a 950$ dress...what a steal). I'm not getting married for awhile but I'm a very decisive person.

If you feeling the urge to try on dresses than go, but be prepared to fall in love and question whether you can handle it.

A good tip is if you do find the dress you love and just have to have it then stop looking once you find the dress. You'll get confused and second guess yourself. Instead live in the moment when you found your dress, put it on the veil for the first time and cried. It'll make everything so special.
  • I would wait to buy, but I don't see the harm in trying some on to see what you like. I got engaged allmost 2 years ago and I started looking right away but I didn't buy until last month. I'm very indecisive though, so thank goodness I didn't buy the dress I loved last year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you should try on some gowns now then this coming spring and summer. Find out what styles look best on your body type and learn the bridal language. Or you can decide now on what designers you like the most. If you are purchasing a dress from a bridal shop you can always exchage the dress in if they have it in your size. As long as the new dress does not need any alterations why not if you are on any time crutch right now.
  • I don't recommend buying so early on but it might be a good idea to look and get an idea of what type of style you would want. You will have plenty of time between now and 2012 to buy a dress so I'd just take your time. Some people still love their dresses after a year in the closet and a year until the wedding and other people don't. Personally, I'm not willing to make that sort or purchase early on and possibly regret it when the time comes.
  • I got my first dress a month and a half after I got engaged, only to find out recently, it didn't fit me at all nor was it really my style. I just got my dress last month (thankfully they - the store- were nice enough to exchange). I went up a size and got a completely different style. I'll be getting married July 2012. I would just wait until 9-12 months before the wedding. A lot can change between now and then. Good luck!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_newbie-knottie-wedding-dresstoo-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:c7d613e7-f2c7-42c2-b9d5-fb0cac9b5ea9Post:71a9d719-bc9e-43e9-9e9c-9717aab0bb72">Re: Newbie Knottie: Wedding Dress....too soon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would wait.  Once you have your venue set in stone, then look.  The formality of the venue will dictate how fancy a dress to get. Look for awhile, and really figure out which styles you like.   So many brides impulsively buy something right after the engagement because they get caught up in the overall excitement.  They end up stuck with a dress, trying to sell it to afford the gown they do want.  Plus, if you buy a non-corset gown too far out from the wedding, you'll have over a YEAR to worry about maintaining the right size, etc.  
    Posted by jennyp08[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards