Students

Ph.D. Application Worry

Hi Ladies!
I'm new to this board and could use your advice. I'm freaking out about my application for a Ph.D. program in Higher Education. I got my M.A. from the same program 1.5 years ago and am really ready for the terminal degree. Any advice on my letter of intent?
Thanks!

Re: Ph.D. Application Worry

• Welcome to the board. Like you I was worried when I applied to my PhD program here's a little advice for your letter of intent make sure you have a few professors read it. I let my advisor and 2 professors read mine and they gave me some great suggestions on things I needed to modify. Also, one of the PhD students in the program I am in now graduated from my Master's program and she helped me a lot. She let me see her letter of intent to get a feel for what I was doing. So it's good to seek out other PhD students to get their take on it and if you know someone personally in the program you're applying to seek them out. I hope this helps and if you need any other suggestions I'll be glad to help. Good luck
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Make sure you make clear the connections between your previous academics and this particular Ph.D. program.  They want to see that you have CHOSEN their Ph.D. program above all others, because their Ph.D. program matches exactly your previous work, your future goals, and you.

My undergrad work was all in Radio-TV, and although I was teaching Radio-TV at a community college at the time I applied to the Ph.D. program in Education, several people responded with:  "You know we HAVE a Radio-TV program here - you should be applying OVER THERE."   So you need to make it clear WHAT this particular program offers YOU, and why you NEED to be admitted to THIS program now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards