Students

Any doctoral students? (PhDs, MDs, DDSs/DMDs, DOs, JDs, etc.)

I was hoping to be engaged/hitched before I started school last fall (2010) but unfortunately, I like to do things the hard way :). I am a current 2nd year doctoral student in public health (concentration: epidemiology), looking to take my first qualifying exam in January...will get my degree in 2015. Hope to see some other doctoral students here! :)
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Any doctoral students? (PhDs, MDs, DDSs/DMDs, DOs, JDs, etc.)

• I'm a fourth year veterinary student.  I'll be going from Miss to Dr. to Mrs. Dr. (no, I am not going to require my intro at the wedding to include both Mrs. and Dr. hehe)  all in a span of about 3 weeks.  Good luck on your first exam!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not yet, since I'm just a sophomore, but I'm going for my Pharm.D when I graduate. I'm hoping to get married the first year of pharmacy school. Should be hectic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks @notyetavet! Sounds like you have quite a full plate for this year of vet school! Will you be a small animal vet or a large animal vet?
    Chloeagh, being pre-pharm is almost as hectic as being in pharmacy school from what I've heard! Best of luck :)

• Thanks! I just finished my first semester of organic chemistry, so I'm feeling that. Good luck with everything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a second year MD student.  Will have my vacation month planned in October so that we can get married during the beginning of third year.  
  • I'm wrapping up my Master's in software engineering. I'm defending my thesis next month. My wedding is in March. So much stress.
  • Finishing my DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) next semester :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have an MS in organic chemistry and I'm in my 1st year of my Pharm D. now.  Yay for degrees!
  • Fantastic, ladies! Congratulations to all! And I second your question, Schatzi... how do "normal" people find the time to work all of this stuff out? It's insane, right? We all must be a little crazy to be able to juggle it all :)

• I'm getting married in April and graduating with my PhD in May.  Right now, I'm on the job hunt, finishing my degree, and planning a wedding.   The wedding is the fun part!  I don't mind it at all.
  • I'm finishing my DPT like katee114 next semester (so Miss to Dr) then taking the borad exam and a wedding in July (Dr to Mrs)  It'll be a crazy summer but I can't wait!
  • I agree...when I need a study break I wedding plan.  Stress releif at this point, but my wedding isn' until October.  
  • I'm just about to graduate (in May) with the intent to go to grad school within a year or so. My fiance is an MD/PhD candidate (which is an 8 year program). Because of all of our academic obligations, we decided that it would be best to push a wedding into the future. We're not getting married until 2014, when he'll be in his PhD phase and will have a more flexible schedule. It gets so confusing to try to 1. finish school, 2. try to find a job, 3. try to find an apartment, 4. try to slowly but surely plan a wedding!
  • I am attending veterinary school out of the country. I also use wedding planning as my stress relief and try to get as much done during my breaks as possible.  In my course of study I am out of the country for 7 semesters (28 mo) then move back to the states to do my clinicals.  The date is set for when I move back/right before clinicals start.  I just hate getting those looks from vendors like "Really?  Why are you here if your wedding isn't for another year and a half"  There's only so much you can do online!
  • I'm graduating undergrad this May, getting married in June, and then starting law school in August! It's going to be quite the eventful summer...

We thought about pushing the wedding back until after I'm finished with law school, but we've already been together four years and just didn't want to wait. He's got a great job and is supportive of my academic endeavors, so hey, why not get married while still in school? :)
  • I'm in my first year of medical school and am getting married at the end of June. Wedding planning while going to graduate school is a little crazy. Luckily, my fiance and I got most of the heavy planning out of the way this summer before I started school and he started his new job. Also, I don't mind wedding planning too much. As previous posters have said, it's nice to take a break from studying every once in a while.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll be graduating with my Doctorate of Physical Therapy in May then getting married in July...studying for boards and wedding planning are taking up my entire life right now :)

• JD in the house! Not graduating until 2014. . & lurking on  THE KNOT has been a lovely distraction when I've needed it most. Not yet engaged but the SO & I have been together 3yrs. I told him I better see a ring before I see another diploma, LOL!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers someecards.com - It's not what you do for me on Valentine's Day that matters but the amount of jealousy it provokes in others NEY Feb. Siggy Challenge: Non-Romantic Valentines Day Cards
  • Good grief! This is one heck of an educated bunch! I'm a 3rd year law student and we're planning our wedding for RIGHT after I take the bar. I bow to you ladies who are planning a wedding in the MIDDLE of your doctoral studies!!! 
  • I'm a 3rd year JD and will be graduating in May. We are getting married at the end of September this year so that I will have time to finish planning after taking the bar in July.
  • I'm a first year med student (DO) and just got engaged! We are planning on getting married July 2013 when I will be choosing to have my vacation month. Even though we just got engaged (about a week ago), I have been like a fiend planning the wedding because I know it will be a lot harder once the semester starts back up. It's good to know other people are going through the same thing! How do you balance school and wedding planning? 
  • Working on my PhD in Neuroscience and planning a wedding... FI is a grad student as well. Getting married Feb 2013 right around the time of my comprehensive examination :S Oh well, I am loving planning this wedding so far, its a nice distraction! Probably the worst part is that we are paying for the wedding ourselves, yep on 2 lovely grad student salaries lol!
  • 1st yr MD student - I start my 2nd yr 2 weeks before my wedding this August!!!
    and yes I know I'm crazy for it :-P 
  • I haven't finished undergrad studies yet, but I'll be going to med school as soon as I do! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    Hey everyone! I'm in my first year of law school as well (hello missamericka2!). My fiance proposed July 31, 2011 and tried to convince me we should have the wedding this coming summer, lol. Plus we're currently in Rhode Island but having the wedding in Wisconsin. I probably would have lost my mind trying to plan the wedding from afar, in a year and done school. We're getting married June of 2013 now. And I agree with everyone, wedding planning is my study break! Plus it helps that my FI is not in school and is really helpful with the planning.
  • I am a third year PhD student in Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics... and I have the oral part of my qualification exam Tuesday. Ah so stressful, I can't focus on studying anymore hence my being on the knot.

We are getting married this summer and had a year and a half engagement with the plan that I'd be done with quals and FI would have his masters and a full time job (he graduated last summer and got a job but not using his degree). We are also planning from long distance, so it's been a little crazy.

On the plus side of being in graduate school and done with classes (just dissertation research left), my schedule is pretty flexable as my PI is pretty laid back about vacation time and schedules as long as you get stuff done.
  • Hey Everyone!!

I'm in a P2 i.e. in my second year of Pharmacy School for a Pharm.D. I'm getting marriend in June and going on my Hospital rotation in July followed by staring my 3rd year in August. Its going to be a busy year for me!!
  • Hey Chrryblndchick! I agree, I can't imagine planning a wedding as a 1L! That's awesome, we're hoping for a July 2013 wedding. We're in the same boat! My class schedule is m-f, and as of last week my new end-of-the-week "treat" is TLC's "Bride-Day Friday," a nice relief from personal jurisdiction, offer and acceptance, etc... lol :)
  • I'm not a doctoral student, but my fiance is.  He's getting his JD this year, I'll be finishing my MSed next year. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I am currently a 2L in law school and will be getting married to my my fiance (who also attends law school) shortly after we graduate.  I'm trying to do get most of the wedding planning out of the way before I have to study and take the bar exam.  Stressful, but I love the distraction!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards