Students
Options

Nursing School conflict!

I had no idea there was a student section on here. I'm so relieved!!! My FI and i have picked a date already, five months shy of graduation...  I have a small timeframe before clinicals start for nursing school. (BS Degree) and i know nursing school is gonna whoop me... but how am i gonna have time to plan my wedding?I s anyone else here in my delinma? IVe started planning early so when the time comes,FI can be like "here, these are her ideas... go with them," I just wanted to see if anyone out there had any advice.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nursing School conflict!

• Options
    Just looking at your wedding ticket, you have SO MUCH time, so you have no reason to freak out at all. You can start choosing colors and browsing for venues, but you don't need to start booking things anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't, because your tastes and financial situation can very well change in the next 2 years.

Sure, you'll be busy with nursing, but it's not like you'll never have time for wedding planning. I'm finding most elements don't require weeks and weeks of work. FI and I finalized our guest list, made a list of all the photos we want our photographer to get, and planned out what dances we want/don't our DJ to do in less than an hour. And while getting your ideas together takes no time at all, it doesn't take  that much more effort to communicate those ideas to your vendors.

I'm planning a wedding from halfway across the country while doing my first year of grad school. Sure, it's not nearly as daunting as nursing, and at times I think I'll get stressed, but I remind myself that things have being great so far and the whole planning thing doesn't have to be as stressful as some people make it out to be. I'm flying home for the holidays, when I'll have my dress fittings, meet with caterers, etc. I'm lucky because my FI will still be living in the Midwest (where we're getting married) so he can handle meetings I can't make. Rest assured, your FI will be willing to help out with things, too!

Hope this offers you some comfort!
  • Options
    thank you :) i just got stressed because i was afraid id be so caught up in nursing that i wouldnt be thinking about the planning as much and then it would be like 3 months till the wedding and i have nothing together
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that you should be fine.  I would set some goals for yourself - like in x month, I will book x vendor.  Just space things out and it will come together.  If you just browse the internet for ideas in your spare time, and save pics for inspiration as you go along, things will come together faster than you think, and you'll have something to show your vendors when that time comes.

I generally recommend less DIY for students just because it tends to be pretty time-consuming and a lot of it can't be done far in advance (at least, not until the RSVPs come back) but if you have a lot of friends/family volunteering to help out it is a possibility (and a good way to save money).  Just breathe, and take things a little bit at a time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started planning the wedding while in nursing school, and I will still be in school for my BSN when we get married.  I graduate with my RN next Thursday and classes start for my BSN in late August, so I understand your concern.  Nursing school will kick your butt so take the wedding planning slow and steady like the others said.  School is going to be stressful enough, just pace yourself and take advantage of you breaks from school!  Good luck!
    siggya>
  • Options
    I agree with all PP - and am living testament, it CAN be done!! :-) I got engaged in 4th year of med school and started my intern yr in July - so ultra-busy 80hr weeks, but stuff still gets done, just in spurts!

The biggest help for me was planning a very detailed list (mine in my bio), on the paper version I have exact time-frames for things that are according to what months I'm an ICU doc and which months I'm on an elective rotation that's easier.

Good luck! and remember to have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm beginning nursing school in a month and began planning at the beginning of June.  I'm getting married in March so I'm trying to get a lot done before classes start up and I really feel like I have a hold on everything.  You have SO much time that I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't know about your nursing school but next summer I have to take classes/clinicals in the beginning of the summer and then have July and August off so that would be a good time to book with venues and vendors.
  • Options
    I am a 4th year Bachelor of Science in Nursing student. I am graduating in December & getting married in July. I have been engaged for just over 4 months and have 70% of the wedding stuff planned and payed for, while being in school FT, with 48 hours of clinical a week, and working PT. It is definitely do-able :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i'm in nursing school and we've been engaged for a year and i JUST started planning so i totally get it. it's so stressful during the school year it was impossible for me to get any planning done so definitely do your heaviest planning during the summers aside from that though you do have plenty of time. i would suggest getting the reception venue/ceremony location out of the way when you're not in school because everything else will fall into place easier and be much less time consuming if those things are done during the summer or whenever you're off, remember to be proactive though because like i said i kept putting things off and now a year later i had planned basically nothing until this month. but like everyone else said it's definitely do-able and good luck with school!
  • Options
    I am also in nursing school and planning a wedding that is 2 hours away from where I live.  I used my breaks from school to looks a reception facilities, consultations, tasting and stuff like that.  I also had 2 years to plan.  I am in a hard quarter now but I have most of my planning done so I am just focusing on school now.  You can do it.  Little bits at a time!
  • Options
    I am in your EXACT situation. I'm also in nursing school, and my wedding is scheduled just shy of 4 months before graduation. I thought I was the only crazy one here. haha. I'm not sure how it's going to go around then. Best of luck to you, I'm sure it will all turn out good anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    START PLANNING NOW! I am in my third year of nursing school and cannot imagine planning my wedding during this time. It kicks your butt hard.
    The only reason we decided to hold off our wedding until after I graduate is because I knew I would not be able to do it all at once. Also, thinking about having to take my boards the summer after...it's a lot to take on.

Take it slow, but don't hold it off! People keep telling me it's too soon to plan but when I look at the big picture, it's not. Use all those vacations!!
    November Siggy: Bouquet Inspiration Photobucket www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards