Ohio-Northeast

Out door wedding in OHIO

Hi, I am planning an outdoor wedding in Oh, and was thinking about an June, July, or Aug wedding. Trying to decide what the best weather and temps will be. But I was wondering what is the best way to cool off the tent if it does get hot. I know there's fans, and someone mentioned air condition but that doesn't make since if its a tent. I didn't want wall cause i figured the breeze would help. Also What kind Of cake should I have I hate the taste of fondant and would prefer buttercream but I dont want my cake to melt either. Thanks

Re: Out door wedding in OHIO

• dclarke20dclarke20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I am planning an outdoor wedding in Oh, and was thinking about an June, July, or Aug wedding. Trying to decide what the best weather and temps will be. But I was wondering what is the best way to cool off the tent if it does get hot. I know there's fans, and someone mentioned air condition but that doesn't make since if its a tent. I didn't want wall cause i figured the breeze would help. Also What kind Of cake should I have I hate the taste of fondant and would prefer buttercream but I dont want my cake to melt either. Thanks
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    I think your local board will help you more! GL I'll move you over there!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • July2012brideJuly2012bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check weather.com for weather trends during each of the summer months you listed above.  I believe they even have data for 5 years back posted so you can draw your own conclusions as well.

As far as how to cool a tent, I'd say the easiest way is to make sure you have an evening reception.  Temps often drop 10-15 degrees from their high once the sun goes down.  You will be on daylight savings time by that point and will likely still want some sort of cooling mechanism for while the sun is still out.

Fans should work to keep the airflow (although industrial strength fans are often noisy) and if you have your reception by the water, you'll likely get a nice breeze to begin with.

To be completely honest, air conditioning is likely going to keep your guests the coolest, but that almost defeats the purpose of a tented wedding.

Is your ceremony going to be in the same location as your reception?
    Have you considered maybe doing your wedding somewhere where you can have an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception that is air conditioned?

I just know that summers in Ohio are extremely humid which is more of a killer to guests' comfort (and your buttercream cake) than the heat.

Depending on your budget, some options for indoor/outdoor spaces could be the following:
    Deluca's place in the park
    Patterson's Fruit Farm
    Cleveland Botanical Gardens
    Stan Hywet Hall
    Western Reserve Historical Society
    The Oaks at Chippewa Lake
    Edgewater Beach
    The Shoreby club
    The Georgian Manor
    Moreland Manor
    The Glidden House
    Squire at Vallevue farm
    Walden resort
    The resort at Geneva state park
    Happy Days Lodge and surrounding areas in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park
    Berkshire Hills Country Club (or really most country clubs, but this one seems pretty affordable)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice and list of places I'll check them out.
    edited December 2011
    I really want to have the ceremony at Stan hywet cause it has always been my dream and pictures are really important to me but to have the reception there as well its just a little out of my price range. Does anyone know of a close location to have an indoor reception. And how far would be too far for the people to drive from the ceremony to the reception cite ? Are there any places that I can bring my own cater? Thanks
  • July2012brideJuly2012bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any reception location ideas for you, but I'd say keep the drive from the ceremony to the reception under 20 minutes.  Anything more than that becomes a hassle for out of town guests to get there and a bit too far for locals to be expected to drive.

Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.  

Oh and I forgot one more place on my list above, where I am getting married: The Club at Hillbrook.  They aren't inexpensive, but I'd definintely look into them if I were you and get prices.  It is a similar look to Stan Hywet on a bit of a smaller scale.  

They've done some great updates/upgrades to the space in the last few months so it is definitely worth a look.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Presentation Church and Banquet center is close to Stan Hywett and is affordable.  I've never been there but it looks nice: http://www.presentationhall.com/index.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards