40-Plus Brides

My mother will be the death of me (long vent)

Okay, I love my mother but sometimes I just want her to go away & stop talking to me.

Background - I'm the eldest of 6 & the last one to get married (go figure, never thought it would happen to me, lol) and since I'm 44 and old enough to know what I want myself and my fiance basically planned the wedding ourselves. Our reasoning is that if we are paying for it we want what we want.

Her complaining started the minute she saw my engagment ring, it doesn't look like an e-ring, it's not a diamond, why isn't it a diamond, he couldn't afford one, how do you think he's going to take care of you and on and on and on. She failed to listen to me when I told her that I didn't want a diamond and told my fiance so, hence the reason I got a sapphire and diamond ring. Then she bitched about the fact that I wasn't getting married in a church, we told her we couldn't justify paying for a church we never go to and for limos to drive us for less than an hour - again we are paying for this. 

She also had my father call me and ask why one of my brothers kids weren't in the wedding party when we had put 2 of my neices and 1 of my nephews in it. I was like we have 14 people already how many do I need to have, ah but they're all his friends, NOT. She then complained about the invitations because I had put "along with their parents" on it out of respect, she stated when shown the proof that since none of the parents were contributing they shouldn't be mentioned on it, damn that woman.

The last straw was today and yesterday. Yesterday she called me to ask me what I was doing the day before my wedding since my brother is coming into town with his family and needs to be picked up at the airport at 10 am and then entertained till she and my father arrived. Are you kidding me, really? I told her that we would be running around like chicken with heads that day and we had no time to be entertaining anyone till that evening. I emailed my brother and told her to get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel or rent a car.

When she called me today I stupidly told her that we had to go to the hotel to finalize some details and she ask why, it's not like I was doing anything at the hotel. Hello, woman - had to pay for our rooms which included another one since you put up such a stink when I told you I was spending the night before the wedding at home, we had to give the total # of guests using the shuttle service and so on. I also said I requested early check-in on the day of the wedding and she was like "because your mother-in-law to be was arriving, why didn't have request that for me the day before when I arrived?" I pointed out very calmly that my fiance's mother is arriving 2 days before the wedding and if she wanted early check-in why didn't she request it when she booked the bloody hotel. She's upset that we're not getting a traditional wedding cake, that I'm not wearing white or white shoes, that i didn't buy a gift for my other niece who is not in the wedding party because she'll be upset that her 2 cousins got something from us - my God she's only 3, she wouldn't have a clue and frankly the only people who would be upset would be her parents. 

So basically the only thing my mother had input in was buying the dress and she was at my first fitting. Thankfully she didn't complain about that process. 

Thanks for reading, my fiance just laughs at the whole thing but it's only 4 wks till the wedding and I've had enough of her even though she's my mother. I don't have a crazy MIL, I have a crazy mother, lol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards