40-Plus Brides

Leave this Weekend! Wow that went Fast!

We leave for HI this weekend. I think I am in shock that it is finally here after a year and half of planning. Everyone keeps asking if I am excited. I am!!!, but I have this lingering feeling of worry that we are going to mess this up somehow. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to marry "my best friend", "soul mate", "dear hubby", "second and last marriage", etc... but I obivously don't want this marriage to fail. FH is being really great asking me about my feelings everyone once and awhile but not too often to bother me. Last night I just asked him to stay strong for me as I am already nervous about the flight and I have a tendancy to relax and just go with the flow once we are at our destination.
How did those of you that have married a second or third or more..times feel right before?  

Re: Leave this Weekend! Wow that went Fast!

• Best wishes for a wonderful day!

Don't know how I felt prior to my wedding this time around.  I was coming off my father's death, thyroid issues, depression.  Luckily my best friend stepped in and took over with planning etc.  Little by little I started coming out of it, but I still wasn't 100% when the wedding rolled around.  We got married at the courthouse on a Friday morning and followed it up with a reception on Sunday night.  Once we said the I Do's on Friday morning and had our family BBQ/reunion later that day, I was done.  I was happy and I was surrounded by family and close friends. 
  • I've only been married once, but it was my husband's second marriage and I was 32 when I got married.  He had a 7 year old son and I'm not good with children.  The night before we got married I knew that it was a mistake.  You know that gut feeling.  So many things were just wrong.  I just didn't have the nerve to call it off.

Well, we're celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary in January by 'finally having our reception' and my stepson will be one of the people there because he and I are so close (there were some difficult years, but we came through it.)  I won't say I was wrong, exactly, making my marriage work was the hardest thing I've ever done but also the best.  It really was, as you and my husband say, 'the second and last marriage.'
  • Emotionally, I felt great. I was so pumped that we were finally going to tie the knot, 5 years to the day after our first date.  I had a lot of other, very troubling things going on but let it fade into the background for the weekend so that I could completely soak in every ounce of the bliss.

Physically, I was on the verge of a sinus and ear infections.  I thought it was a simple cold, so just kept drinking tea by the pot.  The hotel staff was fantastic ... wherever I'd go, they'd apprear with a cup or pot of tea.  How could I not be in good spirits?

Listen, I'm a worrier by nature, so it would be foreign to me not to wonder, from time to time, if this marriage will work out.  My thought is this, it's better to remind myself that success in marriage is not automatic ... it makes each and every day so much sweeter.

Hang in there.  You will have a fantastic time.  Do you think you need to ask your doc for a valium for the flight?  Congratulations!!!!!!!!!  Enjoy each and every moment.  Breathe and relax.  Breathe.  Relax.
  • I was a little nervous, and pretty excited.  I was also a little miffed when my just about to be husband asked marriage license clerk:  Where do I go for the issuance of the ball and chain?  Not funny. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards