40-Plus Brides

father/daughter dance, a conundrum

hi there...it's my first wedding, but my dad passed away 10 years ago, so clearly there won't be the 'traditional' father daughter dance (which i would have loved, even now in my 40's).  My groom's daughter, however, is 19 and would love  to do that with her dad....is there a precedence? and what would be an appropriate song for them....my own dad's pic will be pinned to my dress so he will 'walk with me' down the aisle, but i can defer my dad/bride dance for my groom and his adorable daughter....suggestions?

Re: father/daughter dance, a conundrum

• You can do whatever you wish.  My father passed away 12 years ago.  I re-married in October, 2011.  I had his pic in a locket pinned to the inside of my dress as well.

The only "spot light" dances we had was our first dance.  Mother in law is not a dancer and did not want a spotlight dance.  I have 2 teenage sons and I picked special songs to dance with them.  Our DJ announced that I would be dancing with my son X, but invited everyone to join us.

#1 son picked - Have I told you lately  by Rod Stewart.
    #2 son - I picked - Simple Man
  • One of the advantages of not being in your 20s is that you're typically far more free to do whatever you want.  Regardless of whether there is precedent, no one is going to object if your groom and his daughter have a spotlight dance.
  • It's your day and you can do whatever you would like.  You can set the precedent.  Knowing someday that your FI's daughter may get married she may want to wait and save their special song for that time.  However, and I am just throwing it our there, maybe they could dance to a song that your father loved to honor his memory.  Anything goes these days and your guests will love every minute of whatever you do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can do whatever you want, My father will not dance so that part of the wedding is out for me. We haven't gotten too far into details like that. I know my fiance would probably like to have a dance with his mom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think it'll be nice for the groom and his daughter to dance, and you have the symbolic representation of your dad walking you down the aisle.

FI and I both have lost our parents and we both have one child each: he has a daughter, and I have a son. We'll be doing our dance with them (if it works out... our kids will both be 10 on the big day). Definitely agree with PPs that the traditions are what we make them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards