40-Plus Brides

First wedding at 40... anyone else?

Re: First wedding at 40... anyone else?

• I'll be 43--first time for me--in May 2013, a week after my birthday. I'm planning to wear a bright colored bolero jacket as a cover up/pop of color. I'm bucking tradition all around, a highly colorful Mexican fiesta inspired ceremony/reception with huge crepe paper flowers as decor and a taco truck (we'll have about 50guests). Definitely not formal, but who cares!? I want it to be a fun, casual affair. I've waited this long and felt it was time to celebrate!
  • Well hello fellow Knotties.  I am 43 and am marrying this year for the first time.  My soon-to-be is 44 and this will be his 3rd.  I, at first, did get caught up with all the trappings... I've been planning this day since I was 12.  I met many frogs but no prince.  Now that I have met my charming, funny prince I want this day to go perfectly.  Price is really no option for my gown but realistically I'd love to be able to eat after the wedding so I'm watching my pennies, dimes and nickels.  Lol!
    Getting married at 40+:  I am way more mature than I was at 12 or 20, even 30.  In my 20s I didn't know too much and thought I knew more than I needed to.  In my 30s I figured that out.  In my 40s?  Well I am having a wonderful time!Laughing

• Hi! I will be 52 when I say 'I do' in October 2013. It is my 1st wedding...guess you could say I am a 'late bloomer...LOL. My love & I have been together for 16yrs. We are keeping the wedding simple, no bridezilla moments for me! Just want to have a romantic ceremony & then PARTY!!
  • I'm getting married at age 51 for the first time in July. This is such a treat for me to find out there are other brides like myself!! I always wanted to be married in a white gown with a train so I'm doing just that! I've always wanted to be married at the NC outer banks so I'm doing that too! One good thing about being an older bride is not having to rely on family to pay for your wedding; by paying for it yourself you have complete control over the things you want for you! I can't afford a big soiree, but I decided at the beginning on the things I wanted most, annd then looked for ways to save up for them and ways to have a nice wedding even if it is not a real big one.
  • I'll be 41 when I get married next spring and I'm so blessed that I waited for the right man to come along. I've got a better understanding of life more so now than when I was younger.:)  I'm excited and looking forward to spending the rest of my life with my best friend. 

• 3catmom3catmom member
    First Comment
    Love this! I am 51 and marrying for the first time in July! From the time I was young I always loved the NC outer banks and that's where my wedding is going to be! It won't be a huge wedding, but it will have some of the things I always dreamed about - A dress with a train, a beach-themed wedding cake, a blue flower & seashell bouquet, and close family & friends. I always loved steel drum music, so my reception is going be a picnic style affair with a concert on the sand (instead of the grass!) with wedding cake for dessert. Simple but pretty! My parents are not in good health so they won't be able to attend the ceremony, but I am giving my mother the bouquet and a mother of the bride seashell pin (instead of a floral one) that she can keep on display and my dad a shell pin as well). It's funny how planning your wedding can make you feel so young again!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    NotFroofy was 41 when we got married.  It was my second wedding, but she'd never been married before.
  • I will be 43 next summer and getting married for the first time. No pressure about the wedding planning and my dad offered to pay for the whole thing! I will not be tossing the bouquet mostly because there will only be 1 single woman at the wedding. But that's ok I do not like the tradition much. Only immediate families kids, my Fiancée and my brothers kids. No guests kids. I chose a venue within 30 miles of 60% of the guest list to make it easier. My aunt owns a georgeous B&B. I am so excited! I have not had the problem of people assuming I'm the MOB or only finding strapless dresses. I guess designers corrected their course pretty quick!
  • I will be 41 when I get married for the first time next October!  I cant wait to be the wife of the man of my dreams.  We just got engaged in May, a week after my 40th birthday.  My parents are paying for nearly everything but I am trying to keep it small and under budget.  We are not having attendants nor are we having dancing at our reception.  We are getting married in a restaurant with a garden and patio and keeping the entire affair there.  There are a lot of things that seem to be odd "at my age" like a shower and do you have one, bachelorette party, etc that don't quite seem right but my mother doesn't want me to miss out.  I'm sure we will figure it out...either way i'm not stressing i'm enjoying it!!!
  • reply to ValerieInSeattle: We just were married on June 10, 2013, I am 47 and my husband is 50. First time for me and second for him. My Mother has passed and my Dad really wasn't into the wedding planning thing. But for Mom, I had a memory bouquet set on a chair next to my Dad as a symbol of reflection for her.

And for the presents question: We told most friends/relatives we were only looking for their presents at our wedding and reception to share with us. No gifts no obligations, being older we were very happy just to see old friends. We did register at Macy's but for items we really would like, a new coffee pot, sheets... simple things. Most guests gave gift cards or money. It was good and worked out well.

• Also for @ValerieinSeattle:  In reference to parents who have passed away.  My mom passed away quite unexpectedly about 18 months ago and it is still very much top of mind for myself and my family.  There are a couple things that we are doing to honor her memory.  1) When asked "who gives this woman?" my Dad is responding "her mother who is in heave and I do."  2) The minister will have a moment to recognize all that cannot be with us that day, especially my mother who is so dearly missed and 3)  I have a table display of a picture of my mother, a candle and a small sign that says "I know you would be here today if heaven weren't so far away."

And to chime in on the strapless dress dilemma that many have mentioned here, I had the same feelings/dread of dress shopping because of this.  I just wanted my arms covered.  Whatever happened to the concept of dresses having sleeves???  My solution was to add sleeves.  I love how they turned out as they cover the part of my arms that gives me anxiety, without looking too matronly.   Just 12 more days and I get to wear this gown! 

• LeahzcLeahzc member
    First Comment
    I'll be 42 when I get married in January, my first (my FI is 40, also his first).  I'm excited to go dress shopping, etc., but I will NOT look like a princess.
  • marsm4marsm4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Hello Knotties, first time bride here at 43! Our wedding is in 5 months. I'm so excited to marry the man of my dreams who is perfect for me. My friends and family are really excited for us. It's his third wedding and much to my surprise his family is super excited for us also. They say they've never seen him happier. Our wedding will be 100 guests with the ceremony and reception at the same venue. I dreaded dress shopping because I NEVER wear my arms out. Much to my surprise I found the perfect dress and added a bolero jacket that goes perfectly with it. I didn't feel like a princess I felt like a QUEEN!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll be 40 when we say our I do's. 
  • First time bride at 43.  Groom was 39.
  • My "bachelorette party" will be about 5 close friends talking and drinking wine. Have whatever type of party you want but do have one!
  • EHMichEHMich member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I just got engaged on July 20. I'm 40. My fiance (fiance! He's my fiance now!) is 43.
  • YES!!! I am a first time bride at 46. It is also the first time for my groom who is turning 41 this week. We actually had a civil ceremony with a nice little party in March but I wanted the "real deal" with a church, wedding party, and kick-ass reception so we will have the Blessing etc in January. I am grateful I waited and have a few friends who have also gotten married later. I find the planning very easy because I have had a long time to think about how I want things. Plus, I have fabulous friends whose huge talents I will be utilizing. My only (and surprisng) challenge has been my mother who seems to think that what I have in mind is somehow not "age appropriate" and that I am spending too much money (not hers). Everyone else is excited for me so I resent her little black cloud. Any thoughts? Similar experiences?
  • I, too, am opting out of the bouquet toss which I always found rather horrifying. I plan on presenting it to the couple present who has been married the longest. There will be no garter nonsense either!
  • My Bachelorette party will be my closest friends. We will be dressing up in cocktail dresses for a group photo shoot around town finished off with a champagne toast!
  • I paid a bit more that I had planned for my gown but I plan on selling the whole she-bang after the Big Day for some one else to enjoy!!!
  • I got married in Aug 2012 for the 1st time at the age of 54. It was one of the best days of my life. Wedding of my dreams. Enjoy every moment ladies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1st time at 41, I turn 41 a week before our wedding.
  • Ok...48 and planning my first wedding...been the bridesmaid 10x's so I think I have a good idea on what to do. We have been engaged for 5 years, bought the house and now are ready to have the event. I do want to be "the bride" for that special day.   I know what I want now I just have to find the place and the dress. I am a plus size and looking for the more sophisticated dress without it being a white evening gown/mother of the bride. Where is Grace Kelly's gown designer when I need her?  For the event we want a gathering of family and friends that will not set us back thousands of dollars.   So ladies I am looking for ideas...event spaces that are reasonable in price with good food.....and dress shops that have the plus size dresses to try on in Northern and Central NJ.   Look forward to the input....
  • I have been told to save money in the following categories: dress, flowers, and favors. Even cake...but do not scrimp on food and music.
  • NJ has some lovely state parks. The fees should be more reasonable than an event space. Not sure about museums or historical sites but check those too.
  • I know you meant that you were looking forward to your guests presence not their presents.
  • I'll be 44 when I marry for the first time in March.  It will be my fiance's 2nd marriage.  I'm so excited & scared!  I feel like I'm do old to be giddy but I feel giddy!  My sisters are helping me with the planning thank God, I don't know where to begin.  I went to look at dresses for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago & found my dress in that first visit.  I was so scared to show emotion.  I went back a second time with my sisters & parents and had my crying moment.  I felt a little embarrassed, like I'm do old to be doing that.  I have to find a way to let myself feel the joy.  Congratulations to all the future brides out there. 
  • Be careful of parks...keep in mind that you will have to pay money for renting tables, chairs, etc. Just be wary of hidden costs...they have a way of sneaking up on you!
  • Congratulations! Don't be embarrassed...joy is ageless!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards