40-Plus Brides

First wedding at 40... anyone else?

124»

Re: First wedding at 40... anyone else?

• Engaged at 42 and will be 44 when we marry in 2015!  This will be my first marriage and his second.  In some ways, our smaller wedding will be traditional but we're also not doing a garter or bouquet toss as most of the people at our wedding are already married.  We've been tossing around ideas and have some venues we want to visit but we haven't started visiting yet due to work conflicts. 

As a plus size and over 40 bride, I am not overly excited about dress shopping as I haven't found too many dresses that "speak to me" but I keep looking at pictures.  Despite my anxiousness, my fiance always tells me I'll be beautiful in anything I wear.  It took me 40+ years to find such a good man - so worth the wait!
  • I'm 52,  a single parent of a grown daughter but I never married her father (thank goodness).  So!  This is my first and only wedding, it's a lot of fun to do at this age because I don't have to worry so much about money etc...  I can do anything I want to, our parents are not paying :-)   Not doing the traditional reception... going to Las Vegas with about 30 guests (destination weddings can be fun if you have the $ and desire to plan one) and will just have dinner and then go back to a suite to celebrate.  But we won't have a first dance, bouquet toss etc...  so less like a formal reception and more like a party.

p.s.  There isn't a 50+ board so I'm crashing this one and hanging out with all of your 40+ brides.  Hope y'all don't mind! (although I swear I feel no different at 50 than I did at 40)
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
  • I will be 41 when I get married.  My first and only wedding.  DH will be 43 and it will be his third and last.  We are planning a destination wedding and don't care if no one shows up except our three girls (two together and my oldest from a previous encounter).
  • I'm 39 now, will be 40 when we marry in May of 2015. It will be my first, and, uh, not his first. lol I was never one of those girls who dreamed of my wedding and all the details, so I find myself getting excited as I begin this process of planning my own. My best friend and her sister are helping me plan (my family is emotionally MIA in my life, so they are fairly ambivalent about everything), and my FI is also excited to help pick stuff out. Except cake, he hates cake...he'll be getting a groomscake that's made of meatloaf. At any rate, I've been engaged before in my early 20's, but this is the first time I have been completely at ease with the idea of being married. I can't imagine myself being married in my 20's. I was so immature back then!

(On a side note...what does everyone mean by "age-appropriate" wedding dress?)

• lavascalavasca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    I love that you didn't do the vision thing as a little girl. I did, at age 4, with my dad. We had a disagreement. Mom stepped in and basically put us both in time out then out in her $0.02. Basically I don't care about anything I didn't care about then, I don't care about now. I lost my parents young so I still get to feel like they participated. I have a long train like my mom wanted and I'm keeping my last name like my dad wanted. I hope your ceremony was gorgeous and thank you for making that memory re-surface. Oh, and I am 39. He is 48. He is also ahead of me on hair trials! I'm ahead on weight loss. We aren't competitive or anything. ;)
  • I'm getting married at 41 for the first time and wouldn't change a thing. I plan on wearing the big white puffy ball gown and all. :) 
  • Me too... well, I may turn 42 by the time I walk down the aisle... so excited.
  • I'll be 44 by the time of our wedding. He'll be 54. I've been engaged twice before, but I could never pull the trigger. He vowed he'd never get married. We're quite the pair. :) We're having a relatively small wedding; we're paying for it ourselves. I have a huge family, and they're not all invited. I'm sure it'll be a huge issue, but that's life. We're not doing favors or programs, we're having a live band because he's a musician ... basically, we're doing what we want. And yes, I'm wearing a poofy ball gown!
  • This is my first wedding as well. Will be 49 on the big day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards