40-Plus Brides

Mmmm Cake

Cupcakes to be exact.  DS turns 19 today (my beh-beh is growing up!) and I asked what he wanted for his b-day cake.  He asked for these cupcakes, which is also what DH asked for for father's day.  They are a hit with my family, and I thought I'd share.  The recipe is from the Betty Crocker website.
Molten Chocolate Cupcakes
ingredients:
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup semisweet morsels ( I usually double the choc chips and add 1/4 cup butter to the cream = more chocolate lava.  Hey, I never said this was lo-cal.)
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

In 1 qt saucepan, heat whipping cream (and butter if used)  over medium- high heat, until hot but not boiling.  Stir in choc chips until melted and mixture is smooth.  Refrigerate about 1 hour, stirring occasionaly, until thick.

Heat oven to 350 .  Grease and flour or spray with baking spray with flour 18 large  muffin cups.  (I use regular cupcake tins with cupcake liners = 24). In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and egg with electric mixer for 30 seconds on low then 2 mins on medium, scraping the bowl constantly. Fill muffin cups/ cupcake liners 2/3 full.  Spoon 1 tablespoon of cold chocolate mixture on top of batter in filled cups.

Bake 18-22 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 1 minute, then turn out of pan to continue cooling.

The recipe says to frost with chocolate frosting, but I always use plain white (real) buttercream frosting and lots of it.  I think chocolate frosting would be overload, but if you are a real chocoholic- go for it.  ~Donna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards