40-Plus Brides
Options

Shower offered, can I politely decline?

A family member has graciously offered to throw a bridal shower for me, but I really don't want a shower.  I like this person and don't want to offend, but the whole situation would make me uncomfortable and I would actually dread it rather than look forward to it.  Can I politely turn this offer down or will I be damned to hell for all eternity?

Re: Shower offered, can I politely decline?

• Options
    You will be damned to hell for all eternity.  If for no other reason than hyperbole (sarcasm font). 

Of course, you may politely decline.  It might be nice, though, to suggest a one-on-one evening out with the person who'd like to host the shower immediately following the decline.  Good luck!
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I had a couple of friends who wanted to throw me a shower.   However, I didn't want them to because there were going to be no guests at my wedding (and traditionally only those invited to the wedding are invited to the shower), and because truthfully, the economy was starting to falter and I didn't want folks to spend any money.  So, these ladies and I had a nice evening of pizza and beer, and later ice cream.  No presents, but it was just relaxing.  Sort of a grown up "sleep-over" because we didn't want anyone drinking and driving. 

You might suggest something similar in place of a shower, or just a nice dinner out with a couple of friends. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    I agree with handfast4me, you might just like a night out with your girls. I would love a girl sleep over with some of closest friends. With life and kids we never have enought time to talk and it would be great knowing that we all didn't have to be somewhere else a few hours later. 
  • Options
     I am not having a shower but we are having a girls night.
    My mom, a few family members and all my female friends will be having a pamper night. Movies, wine, pedicures, manicures, games, door prizes. Also having pampered chef, candles and michi representatives(they are all friends who sell so it was easy to plan it) But my mom called me a few minutes ago and said why don't we make that your shower, make everything with wedding motif

But If this is your first wedding you might want to do everything just to experience it.
    I don't like being the center of attention so I didn't want to do  something that revolved directly around me.
  • Options
    We declined a shower, and so far seem to have escaped hell.  ;-)
  • Options
    How about a ladies afternoon or night out instead of a shower?

And yes, you can say no. I did and asked my sister to throw a bon voyage bar-be-que instead since we're having a destination wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards