40-Plus Brides

Still haven't found a dress!!

Hi ladies,

I've culled through countless magazines, visited 2 salons, making an appointment to visit a third - and I still haven't found a dress!!

By the way - I'm getting married in July.

Here's my issue: I'm about to turn 41 and I live an urban professional lifestyle. My work wardrobe is simple and well tailored, with an emphasis on accessories. Therefore, I want my dress to reflect chic simplicity. I found the perfect dress at Priscilla of Boston but they closed down and were not taking new orders at the end of 2011. So I'm back on the hunt.

I'm a size 12-14 with a so-called hourglass figure so every salon I've visited wants to pull out the good ole fit-n-flair.Please don't be offended if you like this style of dress by my next statement.

I'm absolutely sick of trying on fit-n-flairs. I remember that style being very popular at my high school prom so I don't want to wear it for my wedding.

We getting married in St. Thomas, V.I. so I want something elegant, light, and attractive for our destination wedding. I think I may have come across a dress but it may not be available in my size. I'm making an appointment to visit Nicole Miller in my city soon. I'm also looking at Maggie Sottero "P" dresses that can be ordered quickly if necessary.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Still haven't found a dress!!

• I am not sure what style you are looking for other than it should in no way be fit and flare  Smile...Have you tried places such as White House/Black Market or J Crew?  Do you have a photo of the Priscilla dress that could give us an idea of what you love?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • J Crew always has some simple chic DW type dresses.  Also how about the higher end stores like Nordstroms?
  • I'm going to visit Nicole Miller on Sunday. I like crepe de chine simple and chic type of dresses. I have looked at Nordstroms online and J Crew.

However, I'm "bootylicious" Wink so a lot of the dresses don't quite complement my physique.

• Oops, forgot to add the Priscilla of Boston gown - the good one that got away!!
  • I would say you definitely owe yourself a trip to Nordstrom.  That's where I found my dress.  It was never one that was sold online.  I found it the day it was rolled onto the sales floor.

Good luck!
  • I'd focus more on going to stores and trying dresses on in person than looking at pictures online. I found that what I thought I liked in pictures bore little resemblance to what actually worked best on my body.

There's a ton of bridal stores in Philly (I'm assuming that's where you are), plus so many "special occasion" stores that might have something like what you're describing.
  • I am 40 amd this is not my first marriage. I had a hard time finding a dress as well that was age / scenario appropriate. I did NOT want a strapless dress, but that's all I was finding out there.

I ended up at a 'special occasion' store in a suburb of Seattle that had more along the lines of what I was looking for than the bridal stores did. They had more 'other than bridal' dresses and gowns than I had seen in my entire search, in one store.
    I ended up with a great dress from http://www.camillelavie.com/bridal-dresses.cfm , and I recommend them to anyone else looking, that's trying to get away from the cookie cutter dresses that are out there.

Good luck to you. :)
  • Based on "the one that got away" and what i have seen of the Nicole Miller dresses you may be singing a different tune after your appointment there.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  They all seem to have that light and flowy feeling about them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you would still have time for any Maggie Sottero dress.  I bought my dress (and it wasn't a "P") on October 31, and it came in last week (just over 3 months from ordering).  Every store told me it might be a problem, but when I actually was ready to order, I had no problem.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards