40-Plus Brides
Options

Why Won't People RSVP Properly?!

My fiance and I are 41 years old. This is a first marriage for the both of us and we've opted to to a destination wedding in the Caribbean this summer.

Forgive me for the upcoming vent:

We postponed our wedding one year due to my fiance's stepfather's death but at that point, all we sent out were e-save the dates which were later updated. Then a few months after the death, certain family members and "friends" started hounding us for the rescheduled date and wedding details.

We took a trip to the visit the property where we're getting married last summer and told people to keep their eyes open for all of the details. We sent out a new e-save the date (listing the name of the property), followed it up with a printed save the date (which includes our wedding website with more information), then mailed printed invitations with loads of travel ready details (including the name of a relative that is providing FREE travel advice and is a certified travel agent).

Some people thought it was appropriate to RSVP verbally which we quickly shut down via email (politely of course). We included a self addressed stamped envelope with each invitation. We mailed approximately 65 invitations and expect between 30-35 people total. We are having a welcome reception, the wedding, and a wedding dinner - for all of which we need headcounts.

Our RSVP date is tomorrow but WHY do I have more than 20 outstanding RSVPS at this point?! A lot of these people are supposed to know better and, they are also aware that we need to confirm details with our vendors.

The good news is that we gave ourselves extra "cushion" time knowing that some people would delay in responding. But it's it sad that we had to go to these extra lengths?!

My fiance is a bit ticked off and doesn't want to call people to follow up - but I'll work on him with this because some people's invitations may have gotten lost in the mail *wink wink*  However, many of these people who have yet to respond have acknowledged receipt of the invitation.

So, I decided that I'll start banging the phones next week but boy, this is sooooo frustrating!! Our wedding is in late July but all confirmations have to be in by the 3rd week of June.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies!! UGGGHHH!!!

Re: Why Won't People RSVP Properly?!

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Good vent!!  Honestly, 20 phone calls isn't as bad as it could be. 

You'll here a mix of: "Well I thought you knew we're coming!" and "Didn't I send that card?" plus "Oh, you needed the response by that date??" 

Just grin and bear it.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I agree with Lisa50 - good vent!  It's better to get it out, rather than hold it in; I'm sure you don't need the stress right now.  

We're getting married in 37-days and I couldn't agree with you more that it is so frustrating trying to track down RSVPs.  We sent out 100+ invites and still have outstanding response cards.  We also preferred not to have people verbally respond because they're required to choose their dinner; but nevertheless, some folks did and I told them if I don't receive your card, I'm not counting you (...even my own bridal party! LOL).  May seem ignorant, but how difficult is it to write your name and make a check-mark for dinner - and mail it back WITH a pre-stamped envelope?  Aye.

Congrats on your big day coming up!  Stay stress-free, keep your spirits up, and don't let those folks get you down!!  Enjoy. :-)

Best,
    Kelly
  • Options
    Thanks Kelly and Lisa50 for your nice, supportive messages. This is the only time my Bridezilla side has come out! Whew! I needed to get that off of my chest Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards