Florida-North Florida
Options

Cakes-Have you used

I started cake appts today. I thought my design wouldn't be too much money because it didn't have much of a design but used a lot of flowers from my florists. I was totally wrong.

I have heard Metro Custom Cakes in Jax is really good and comparable in price to Publix. Has anyone used them or heard pros/cons? Thanks!!

Re: Cakes-Have you used

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with them and so did my friend who just recently got married.  She had a really bad experience with Metro Custom Cakes...it was so bad that her wedding planner decided to not recommednd them anymore.  She ended up going with Publix.  Also, if you read the contract there is a part where they say no matter if the cake is late (even if the reception has already started) they will not give you a discount on your cake.  I know they say that they have never been late but that scares me.  I had a another friend who used Publix (in Orlando) and her cake was late (got there right when the reception started) and it was free. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    146 Invited image 81 Joining the celebration image 29 Are missing out image36 Not Replied image
    RSVP Date: March 15, 2011
  • Options
    doc1026doc1026 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the info. I won't even bother with an appt. I still have Classic Cakes to go to as well.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Classic Cakes and LOVED them. We had a tasting with them, Publix and Defore's out of St. Augustine, and CC was leaps and bounds better than the other two. They were slightly more expensive than the others, but we were so confident with them after the tasting that it was worth the extra money. They did both the Grooms cake and the wedding cake and we had nothing but raves about the taste. There are pictures of both cakes from my photog's blog, if you want to check it out:

http://www.jasonangeliniphotography.com/blog/2010/02/st-augustine-wedding-at-the-white-room-jenifer-and-ian/

Seriously, Classic Cakes was one of my favorite vendors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard really good things about Classic Cakes!  I've also had Cakes by Shelia recommended to me by One Ocean in Atlantic Beach. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    146 Invited image 81 Joining the celebration image 29 Are missing out image36 Not Replied image
    RSVP Date: March 15, 2011
  • Options
    4cats4us4cats4us member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our cake from Publix and it was great!  I drew a picture of what I wanted the cake to look like, and they were able to recreate it with no problem.  Everyone loved the cake, it tasted great, and it was about HALF the cost of the other bakeries I had been to!!
  • Options
    christinalauchristinalau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Judy's Cakes - She is the sole owner and baker... Other appointments that I went for and ended up not going with are Angie's and Etiquette of Chocolate

Angie's - Very disorganized and "messy". I made an appointment and came to discover on the day of that she also booked another appointment at my time. She was running back and forth between 2 brides-to-be and having to deal with customers picking up birthday cakes. What should have been a 30 minute appointment (FI and I knew exactly what we want) turned into an hour. The place was kinda dingy - Some lights were not working and the air was out. So naturally we didn't go with them
    Etiquette of Chocolate - Nice designs but not so great when it comes to flavors. They are very limited in options and fell a little flat on the taste. But if you want eye candy - That is the place to go to.

HTH
  • Options
    bblove10bblove10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally disagree with what you said about Metro Custom Cakes.  My sister used them for her wedding, and the cake was beautiful and tasted amazing. 
  • Options
    ejoyce8ejoyce8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Kakes By Katie, she is the sole owner and baker from mandarin. We
    had an appointment with her and she was great. she had about 15 different kinds of cake and fillings and had TONS of pictures of her previous cakes.
    2 of my friends have used classic cakes and had nothing by good things to say about them
    Anniversary bethandanthony.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Metro Custom Cakes for my wedding cake.  They are a husband and wife team and are very easy to work with.  They provided many cake and filling samples at my consultation and provided a sketch of my cake design.  They aren't charging me for my top tier and are providing free delivery to my venue.  The price was great!  Katie's cakes were a little too old-fashioned looking for my taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards