Florida-North Florida
Options

NWR: Teachers Needed?

Greetings knotties of Florida, I come for a bit of advice.  I graduated in 2005 with my bachelors in elementary education and have yet to find a teaching job despite having substitute taught for years.  I've moved from Indiana to Ohio but still nothing and I grow more and more discouraged by the day as I see more schools lay off teachers.

I've heard conflicting reports about your state of Florida needing teachers.  Some sites state that you're in need and others say Florida has their max just like the midwest.  Does anyone know what the outlook is for teaching jobs there?  My Indiana license allows me to teach 1-6, and 7-8 depending and my Ohio is k-3.  Both are currently valid.

Thank you so much for your help.  I know it's not wedding related and I apologize in advance but I needed some local opinion.  Hope everyone has a good rest of their week!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Teachers Needed?

• Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It completely depends on the area.  I know Leon county is not looking for teachers at all because we're a college town and a lot of college students stay to work here.  Other counties though, I'm sure are looking for teachers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like Navybaby said, it really depends on your county.  In Gainesville where I live, teaching jobs are really competive because we have new teachers graduating from the University of Florida every semester. 

I am working on my BA in elementary education right now, and I think I may have to go to another city to find work.  :/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, if you want to teach in Florida, don't you have to take the Florida certification tests first?  They are pretty expensive.  I think the first test cost $130, and the next two cost about $200.   However, I don't know how the process works if you already have certification from another state.  Maybe you don't have to take the tests?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your help so far girls and if anyone has any other input, I'd love to hear it!

Kiersten - I've researched the Florida Department of Education site a bit, but thanks for the thought!  It looks like since I already hold certification in another state, I have to prove my credientials and apply.  They'll determine if they have to match up.  I'll certainly call them and look more into it.  When I moved from Indiana to Ohio, I had to take some additional areas of the Praxis II in order to get my Ohio license.  I wish you the best of luck as you finish and head into the job market.  It's tough out there but some of the lucky ones make it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I teach at a private school in Duval County (Jacksonville).  I know that there will be at least one high school position open here for next year and possibly a few others.  I think your best bet is to just contact individual schools.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a lot of friends that are teachers (in various counties like Indian River, Orange, etc.) and based on things they've said, it sounds like FL is a pretty competitive market. Several of them mentioned that their jobs aren't guaranteed from year to year (I guess due to budget cuts and other issues) so they always worry about that. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lifeizbeachylifeizbeachy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pensacola has an over abundance of teachers. I do the hiring where I work and we see a lot of applications from people who are out of work teachers. It's really sad to see them applying for a $9 hour job. 
  • Options
    amclausenamclausen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my masters in Secondary English ED in 2008 and have yet to find a teaching job, but the only places I looked in FL were Gainesville, St. Augustine, Duval, and Nassau Counties.  Many of the graduates from my program are in the same boat.  Most of them that did find teaching jobs in FL got the pink slip after the first year.  I've heard rumors that south Florida (West Palm and Miami) are better prospects but, as someone who grew up in West Palm, I wouldn't recommend living there.

Your best bet to actually find a teaching job is to start networking with administrators/school officials NOW.  I know that around here, it's more who you know than your actual qualifications due to the shortage of positions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Duval where we desperately need more teachers but due to budget cuts even current teachers are worried about their jobs from year to year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards