Florida-North Florida

Help - Advice and Opinions

So.. we are having an issue with finding a church to be married in. Originally we decided on the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church - because well it's breathtakingly beautiful. Well then we get a call from the priest saying, 'oh I have another wedding that day - can you just get married by a deacon?' - okay mind you it's already $1,000 to JUST use the church. Then its another $250 for ceremony music (for a 30 minute ceremony) and another $100 donation, and another $100 for using their wedding coordinator! YIKES! It's just not affordable any more... So we have 1 more church to go see on Saturday. So it's either get married in St. Catherines Catholic Church or the Sacred Heart Catholic church and then have our reception at the Winterbourne. OR I spoke with the winterbourne and we could get married there. BUT.. It would be at 7 at night in March - completely dark out and possibly a little chilly. There is a wedding from 1 -5 and we can't get in there at 6. I tried. So.. It would be a ceremony/reception - but I'm worried 4 hours won't be enough time. And then the lighting situation arises.. if we were to do that. I was thinking maybe a ton of candles and colored paper lanterns to highlight the ceremony... I just want people to see us and I'm worried they won't, and then the beauty won't come out in the pictures and everything else...
So - Could you ladies lend some advice and opinons please. Thanks!!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Help - Advice and Opinions

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, Immaculate Conception is beautiful, but they are crazy expensive!  We checked them out before deciding to go someplace else.  I grew up going to church at St. Paul's at the beach (it's a beautiful Catholic church).  In my opinion, 7 is a little late for a ceremony, the reception probably wouldn't start until 8 or so, and that might be too late for some of the older family or people with kids.  Plus, like you said, Jacksonville in March is a little unpredictable weather-wise.  Personally,  I'd vote for one of the other churches you mentioned with an earlier time.  Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks court. I think a candlelight ceremony would be gorgeous, but indoors where you could do low lighting ya know - so we can still be seen. Where is St. Pauls at?? We just moved here in March and got engaged in July. I'm just at the point where I want it decided on so I can move forward with it ya know? I don't care anymore about the deposit - because no matter what it will be cheaper than them.
  • edited December 2011
    Candlelight ceremonies are beautiful!  St. Paul's is on 2nd Avenue at Jacksonville Beach, you can Google them (there are a few in Jacksonville, be sure it's the one at the beach!)  Congrats on the engagement!  It must be hard being new in town.  I totally know what you mean.  It's hard to move forward with stuff until you make a few big decisions.  Anyways, good luck!
  • edited December 2011

Thanks I really appreciate it.

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at St. Joseph's Historic Church in Mandarin and then going to The Club Continental for the reception, so it's not too far out of the way. It might be a little cheaper than ICC. It would be so intimate for a candlelight ceremony. I'm not too sure of their scheduling as far as a late ceremony though. Good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Samunnel - We actually have been talking with St. Joesph's and I've been thinking about using their historic church. It's beautiful. I just worry about how close it is to the road. But I'm actually just waiting for the lady to call me back and let me know if they still have that date/time open.
    Thanks and good luck with your's as well - I think that little church is adorable. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards