Arizona-Phoenix

Rehearsal Dinner Thought - Need Opinions

I was sitting here at work and I got an email about catering or something and it got me thinking about our rehearsal dinner.

With our bridal party having 20 people in it (ALL my fiancé's fault - he could narrow it down and I am too OCD not to have matching numbers) our rehearsal dinner is looking to be about 60 people or more!

We are having the rehearsal dinner at his parents house (they want to show their "new" house to their friends from Canada who have yet to see it) so ideally I would just want a small intimate dinner but his parents insist on inviting their out of town (well most are out of country) friends and I have relatives coming in from out of state so I feel it only right to invite them.

That being said, his mom has made mention a couple of times now that the catering companies they are looking at charge almost as much per person (after tables, chairs, dishes, etc) as our venue does so this is going to be a significant cost.

Then the thought popped into my head to have a rehearsal happy hour or rehearsal cocktail hour if you will it would be a bit longer than an hour). It could be casual with beverages, hors d'œuvres and mingling. We would probably still need to rent chairs and definitely glasses but I thought what a great way to cut this cost I'm sure by more than half when all is said and done.

What do you ladies think of this? Is it cheap and cheesy to do this? Or a fun casual way to still get everyone together after the rehearsal and before the wedding? Thoughts, opinions and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

I should note that I have leniency with my rehearsal time so we could do it a bit earlier so it does not fall during dinner - say 4 or 5...

TIA

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Thought - Need Opinions

• edited December 2011
    I think anything goes with a rehearsal "dinner!"  I have been to all kinds, from a backyard BBQ to a formal dinner.  I personally like more casual one, especially if the next night is formal.  We are doing ours at an old western BBQ place in Cave Creek, very casual.  I think it will be so much fun and very different than the formal, plated meal we are having the next night!
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed! I love the poll :)  I think it's nice when the rehersal dinners are more relaxed and down to earth. 

Not related, but with 20 people, have you thought about gifts at all?  I have six bm's and I'm stressing about their attendant gifts.  I was wondering if you had any ideas???
    Photobucket
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies, the idea is growing on me more and more as the day goes on and I am actually really excited to share the thought with my FMIL.

NillaWafer10 I am pruchasing stuff slowly for my girls I bought these http://perfectlypresentedonline.com/item_376/Monogram-Jewelry-Bag-Pouch.htm and I am putting a pearl necklace in there (maybe bracelet and/or earrings too if I can afford it. I am also making them a bridesmaid survival kit with VS lotion, bumble and bumble hair powder, hairspray, bobby pins, asprin, tide pens, bandaids, etc.

If you like stuff on that site I got this code for 10% off when I ordered them so feelf ree to use it. 10% off your order with the code PP10.
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is doing the groomsmen gifts and I honeslty doubt he has thought at all about it. I like the idea of monogrammed flasks though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards