Arizona-Phoenix

Marriage license process - help!

Hi ladies... I'm trying to make sure we make our marriage official, so I'm doing a little research on the marriage license process. It looks like FI and I need to go to the clerk's office, apply for a marriage license, then after the wedding, return it to the clerk's office. Is there anything I'm missing? TIA
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
Still here and still fabulous!

Re: Marriage license process - help!

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That's pretty much it, you go to the clerk, fill out the application, present your IDs, swear that you aren't related and sign.  They print it up, you pay for it and then and you take it home that day. (also, buy the certified copy at the same time).

After your ceremony service, you both sign, you have two witnesses sign, and Jody will sign.  Then she'll mail it off for you, no further action needed on your part, you will be legally married!  We got our certified copy of the marriage lisence about a week and a half after the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    And how far in advance should you go to the clerks office?
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_marriage-license-process?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:16d5cc95-2492-4116-a613-f19055b3e0e6Post:eeb53ba5-adbf-4cc5-a64b-e920f4f3851b">Re: Marriage license process - help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's pretty much it, you go to the clerk, fill out the application, present your IDs, swear that you aren't related and sign.  They print it up, you pay for it and then and you take it home that day. (also, buy the certified copy at the same time). After your ceremony service, you both sign, you have two witnesses sign, and Jody will sign.  Then she'll mail it off for you, no further action needed on your part, you will be legally married!  We got our certified copy of the marriage lisence about a week and a half after the wedding.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

<div>So exciting!!</div><div>
    </div><div>KJoseph - the certificate is good for up to a year after the date you purchase it... </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    Our officiant is taking care of all our "official" details for us. We just have to go down to the clerk's office - he recommends no more than 30 days before the wedding - to get the license. Then we do all the fun stuff the day of, signing, etc. and we'll get the certified copy back in the mail!!

You should see if whoever is marrying you offers the same type of thing. Then you don't have to worry about it.
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • BBreezy75BBreezy75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tia,

I have the same issue. My brother is marrying us and has never done a ceremony before, so we weren't sure who mails it in or returns it to the clerks office. Does he have to or can we?
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_marriage-license-process?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:16d5cc95-2492-4116-a613-f19055b3e0e6Post:12618e05-1785-42d2-a791-baa42c7e5e16">Re: Marriage license process - help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tia, I have the same issue. My brother is marrying us and has never done a ceremony before, so we weren't sure who mails it in or returns it to the clerks office. Does he have to or can we?
    Posted by BBreezy75[/QUOTE]

When we got our license, they actually gave us the return envelope too of where it gets sent.  You just detach the bottom portion (after it's signed and you are married, don't do it before) and you can either mail it in, or drop it off at the clerks office.  The only reason why most officiants take care of that for you even though it's easy is because many couples leave for their HM right after the wedding (and it makes sure it doesn't get lost - no bottom portion returned means no marriage recorded)
    Anniversary
  • BBreezy75BBreezy75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!
  • DanaG01DanaG01 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Just an addition - there is no waiting period in AZ so you can get married as soon as you leave the clerk's office. Licenses are good for 1 year though, so you don't want to go too early! LOL. Here is a website:  http://clerkofcourt.maricopa.gov/marlic.asp
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards