Arizona-Phoenix

Bridesmaids Gifts.....when I am paying.

Ok the only person paying for their dress is my MOH and she offered to buy it. I thought this is how it worked anyway but I am paying because one of the BM is my daughter so of course I am buying hers, another BM has barely any money and the other BM is getting married a month after me and says she can't afford too...(ha she makes a ton of money but whatevs. I asked her, I will pay it and I am fine with that)

Well since I paying for all the BM's dresses, do I still need to get them a gift? I am working on a budget and don't even think I could afford anything really extra like that.

Is that tacky to just get the MOH something? Although I know she would never expect anything from me.

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts.....when I am paying.

• edited December 2011
    Personally, I think you do need to still get them something to thank them for being there for you, even though it is very nice that you are paying for their dress, that is not really a gift.  It can be something really small, or even something you make yourself.  I was a bridesmaid once and the bride did not have very much money, so she went to a bead store and made us each a necklace, it was very thoughtful.
  • GogalinaGogalina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say your MOH for sure because she's paying for her own dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I would feel like you should still get them something...possibly a card with a $5 starbucks card.  But either way , if you get something for one you should get something for all of them, imo.
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was a bridesmaid in my first wedding the bride just gave us each a nice handwritten note and a small bracelet that couldn't have been more than $10. I thought it was such a sweet gesture and still have the note actually. Something simple can go a long way, plus these are your friends and I am sure they will not judge by the size of the gift as long as you make an effort to show your appreciation.
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A popular guideline is to shop like it is their birthday.   Like PP stated, I think you need to at least give them something small.  I do have to disagree with the gift card.  There are a lot of people who feel that gift cards are thoughtless, and aren't really appreciated.  I'm not one of these people, but I sure do know a lot of them.  Plus, by giving them a monetary donation, it is obvious how much you spent on them.

I think it is acceptable to spend more on the MOH, but you shouldn't give only the MOH a gift, unless it is in private.

For more insight, you can also post this on the registry and gifts board.  You might get a few snarky comments, but it's a huge board with lots of opinions :)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards