Arizona-Phoenix

Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?

Hi everyone!  I've been lurking for a few months now, and have definitely found some great information and ideas, so thanks for that!  After a few weeks of frustration, I finally decided to post and ask for help...

We are planning from Minneapolis.  So it's definitely been a challenge!  We have a reception venue, caterer, DJ, and photobooth nailed down.  I'm having THE HARDEST time finding a pretty (as in scenic), inexpensive place for our ceremony!  And, by inexpensive, I'm actually hoping for as close to free as possible!  I've looked through all the posts and comments here and have contacted many of the recommended places.  However, most of the "budget" type places won't accomodate a ceremony only. 

Here's what we'd like to do: Have our 125 guests gather around us outside, standing (no chairs needed), say our short and sweet vows, then take some family portraits.  I would really like somewhere pretty and somewhat private, and I've seen some gorgeous places, including golf courses.  I would also like it to be as close as possible to Old Town Scottsdale, or near Scottsdale Ranch, to minimize travel for our mostly OOT friends and family.  I've emailed a ton of places, and pretty much every place has emailed me back their pricing for their packages, even after I specifically say almost exactly what I just said about wanting a ceremony only.  So frustrating!

Some places are simply not available on our date.  No problem.  But I'm starting to hear back that these places just won't do "ceremony only".  Or, if they do, it's over $1k (Boojum Tree) even after they give a discount for not needing chairs set up.  I'm asking for 1-1.5 hours tops.  No decorations or anything. 

Scottsdale Civic Center would have been perfect- but our date is on the weekend of the Culinary Festival.

I do have a friend scouting Chaparral Park soon.  I'm waiting on hearing back from Ancala Country Club, Orange Tree, and Talking Stick.  Sassi says they don't do ceremony only, which is fine, because they are farther away than I am hoping for anyways.

Our reception is at Scottsdale Ranch Community Center, which does have a pretty view of Lake Serena, but our guests would have to stand in the parking lot... (which I assume is already going to be filled with cars).

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help!

Re: Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?

• Oh man I absolutely understand your problem. I'm planning a wedding from Wisconsin and looking for an affordable ceremony only venue as I have a reception venue. It's so ridiculous what people want to charge! In addition to Chaparral park you might want to look at Papago Park or Encanto Park (Encanto might be too far of a drive to your reception venue). I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about your hunt.
  • Orange Tree does not do ceremony only...  Gainey Ranch is $850+...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_looking-for-a-scenic-inexpensive-or-free-spot-for-ceremony-only-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:59c54a1f-d003-4f82-8625-def53184daa0Post:e1a3a832-e17d-48c4-a125-2de6e833d8c1">Re: Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man I absolutely understand your problem. I'm planning a wedding from Wisconsin and looking for an affordable ceremony only venue as I have a reception venue. It's so ridiculous what people want to charge! In addition to Chaparral park you might want to look at Papago Park or Encanto Park (Encanto might be too far of a drive to your reception venue). I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about your hunt.
    Posted by brinonny[/QUOTE]
  • I am in Phoenix, so I am trying to figure out a place that is around where you need it to be. The cheapest I found in the valley was Sahauro Ranch Park, its $600 for 200 people...for the ceremony, but that is in Glendale.

I am really trying to rack my brain and I can't think of anything in Scottsdale. Scottsdale is notoriously pricier, hence why I stayed clear of that area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would definitely say a park might be your best bet for pretty and cheap. Papago Park is pretty (they have 'whole in the rock' which is an easy 'hike' and might make for some awesome pictures) you could do Ramada 9&10.  It's technically Phoenix but its close to south scottsdale? http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/papago/index.html

Good luck!!

http://frankenstiensgirl.weebly.com
    Photobucket
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Save The Dates
  • I know you didn't ask, but I would really rethink not having any chairs.  I know as a guest, I would be pretty pissed if I showed up in heels and found out I had to stand for 1-1.5 hours.

That being said, have you looked at the Botanical Gardens?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_looking-for-a-scenic-inexpensive-or-free-spot-for-ceremony-only-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:59c54a1f-d003-4f82-8625-def53184daa0Post:690171c3-9410-469c-a34d-d56fa0e77cc4">Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone!  I've been lurking for a few months now, and have definitely found some great information and ideas, so thanks for that!  After a few weeks of frustration, I finally decided to post and ask for help... We are planning from Minneapolis.  So it's definitely been a challenge!  We have a reception venue, caterer, DJ, and photobooth nailed down.  I'm having THE HARDEST time finding a pretty (as in scenic), inexpensive place for our ceremony!  And, by inexpensive, I'm actually hoping for as close to free as possible!  I've looked through all the posts and comments here and have contacted many of the recommended places.  However, most of the "budget" type places won't accomodate a ceremony only.  Here's what we'd like to do: Have our 125 guests gather around us outside, standing (no chairs needed), say our short and sweet vows, then take some family portraits.  I would really like somewhere pretty and somewhat private, and I've seen some gorgeous places, including golf courses.  I would also like it to be as close as possible to Old Town Scottsdale, or near Scottsdale Ranch, to minimize travel for our mostly OOT friends and family.  I've emailed a ton of places, and pretty much every place has emailed me back their pricing for their packages, even after I specifically say almost exactly what I just said about wanting a ceremony only.  So frustrating! Some places are simply not available on our date.  No problem.  But I'm starting to hear back that these places just won't do "ceremony only".  Or, if they do, it's over $1k (Boojum Tree) even after they give a discount for not needing chairs set up.  I'm asking for 1-1.5 hours tops.  No decorations or anything.  Scottsdale Civic Center would have been perfect- but our date is on the weekend of the Culinary Festival. I do have a friend scouting Chaparral Park soon.  I'm waiting on hearing back from Ancala Country Club, Orange Tree, and Talking Stick.  Sassi says they don't do ceremony only, which is fine, because they are farther away than I am hoping for anyways. Our reception is at Scottsdale Ranch Community Center, which does have a pretty view of Lake Serena, but our guests would have to stand in the parking lot... (which I assume is already going to be filled with cars). Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for reading and thanks for any help!
    Posted by angeldawn6[/QUOTE]

Did you try any of the Scottsdale parks? Scottsdale is close to many of the other cities around it...might I suggest Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, Ahwatukee? They are less than 30 mins away by freeway and as a final choice can be very handy. I live in this city and can tell you that many places would be scenic :) Not sure how much the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden's would be, or you could also try Boojum Tree (stunning)
    I could go on...but so many places do charge a FORTUNE these days even for a short amount of time...
    Have a great wedding day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_looking-for-a-scenic-inexpensive-or-free-spot-for-ceremony-only-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:59c54a1f-d003-4f82-8625-def53184daa0Post:06b7a028-1546-425e-9d21-6cc7c7648f38">Re: Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you didn't ask, but I would really rethink not having any chairs.  I know as a guest, I would be pretty pissed if I showed up in heels and found out I had to stand for 1-1.5 hours. That being said, have you looked at the Botanical Gardens?
    Posted by omglydia[/QUOTE]

Haha!  Yeah, I would be pissed too!  I don't plan on our actual ceremony being more than 15-20 minutes (at the VERY most).  The 1-1.5 hours is just planning extra time for us to take some family portraits.  He and I are actually going to Sedona the day before to shoot our wedding portraits together.  It's all very non-traditional...

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_looking-for-a-scenic-inexpensive-or-free-spot-for-ceremony-only-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:59c54a1f-d003-4f82-8625-def53184daa0Post:eac0dd09-19d2-4844-8fb6-3370855e8c2c">Re: Looking for a scenic, inexpensive (or free) spot for ceremony only. Help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would definitely say a park might be your best bet for pretty and cheap. Papago Park is pretty (they have 'whole in the rock' which is an easy 'hike' and might make for some awesome pictures) you could do Ramada 9&10.  It's technically Phoenix but its close to south scottsdale? <a href="http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/papago/index.html" rel="nofollow">http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/papago/index.html</a> Good luck!!
    Posted by FrankensteinsGirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Papago Park would be nice.  I put an email in to them, hoping it's available!
  • Also check out parks in Tempe. If you are not looking for a recpetion they have some very nice parks and Tempe is just south of Scottsdale. 
  • I'd check around Tempe Town Lake as well... You might be able to get a good deal there! Lots of my friends have done e photos there and they've turned out great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards