Arizona-Phoenix

Newbie that needs some advice

I recently became engaged and right away we decided to get married on our anniversary since it has always been a special day... Well it just happens to be 11-11-11 and I knew that finding a venue would be hard, but it's a little harder then I had anticipated. We have even looked in San Diego and Las Vegas. We have about 150 guests and are trying to stay under 15,000 with a lot of DIY. Tonight we were discussing options and came up with the idea of signing the marriage certificate on 11-11-11 and having the ceremony and reception on 11-12-11 when more venues are available for our budget. The only thing that would be different is signing the marriage certificate the day before. Would this be an okay option? Thank you for your ideas and help.

Re: Newbie that needs some advice

• edited December 2011
    My friend is actually having her wedding on 11-10-11 because the 11th is a holiday, you may want to check that date, although I know the 11th is special to you.
    79 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it would be fine if you can do it that way.

I've heard of people having problems with getting a license for their wedding day, especially for desination type weddings, and just doing the ceremony without it and then going to the JP to legalize everything.

That may not work if it is a holiday... depending on what holiday... so I would find out about that first, but it wouldn't be the first time something like that was done, by any means.

Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• edited December 2011

I am getting married at a great place that is really affordable and it very cool. Its all outdoors and you bring in your own vendors. Its on 15 acres of land and is unique and sort of vintage. It is keeping us way under 15000 and we have 200 coming. Let me know if you want info. Golfin2good4u@yahoo.com. As far as signing the marriage certificate i think its ok but people will remember your wedding on the 12th so i am not sure how you feel about that.

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I personally feel that your marriage anniversary is the day you actually do the ceremony, not just the day you sign the marriage license, so that solution wouldn't work for me.  Also, like Ward said, everyone else will remember your wedding on the 12th, not the 11th.  However, there's certainly nothing wrong with doing it that way, you just need to look into whether it's possible or not due to it being a holiday and such.
    Anniversary
  • dubosgrldubosgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got an email today from Hillcrest Golf Club that said 11/11/11 is available.  I know absolutly nothing about them, so I don't know if they fit in your budget or not, but maybe worth checking out.  
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems odd to me to sign the marriage license *before* the wedding. You have to have it signed by the officiate and two witnesses. How can they legally sign their name as witness if they have not actually witnessed the marriage?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_newbie-needs-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:9dac2acf-ab56-46d0-8d33-c7a57695a163Post:c533b3cb-476d-435d-8bfa-8988dd4fa8e0">Re: Newbie that needs some advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems odd to me to sign the marriage license *before* the wedding. You have to have it signed by the officiate and two witnesses. How can they legally sign their name as witness if they have not actually witnessed the marriage?
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Well, basically you don't really *need* any sort of ceremony.  The winesses are that you all signed the certificate.  You might have to do a mini version of the vows, depending on the officiant, but really all you need is the license to make it a legal marriage I think.   The rest is fairly superficial.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    So, you would have 150 guests who probably traveled and brought gifts to your wedding... not actually witness or be at your wedding?

Yeah, that seems like a bad idea.  If the date is more important than your guests, just elope.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess it depends on what you consider the wedding...  the emotional aspect of the ceremony with family and friends, or taking care of the logalities/logistics of it.

I think if you look enough, you will be able to find a venue that will work for you.  There are an obnoxious amount in this area really.  It may not be your dream venue, or be exactly what you want or pictured, but I'm sure there are a few that are not booked.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I know how crazy it is to wait even longer, but have you ever thought about pushing your date back? 11/11/11 is one of those dates that a lot of people pick solely for the way it looks. This probably contributes to some of the trouble with finding a venue.

Another option is maybe having the ceremony on Friday (the 11th), and then throwing a party/reception on Saturday evening. That way you can spend more time with family and friends, especially the OOT guests. It is a little unconventional, but it may open up other vendors that aren't as pricey/booked already.
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • karinehoushkarinehoush member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into renting a home?  I've heard of places in North Scottsdale and Cave Creek area that are on several acres and are big enough to have the ceremony and reception. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards