Ohio-Northeast

Offbeat Wedding Ceremony Ideas

I have been following the Knot on and off since I've been engaged, and this is my first post. I'm in need for some guidence as to where to have my ceremony at. However, with my date being the first week of November, I feel that my choices are limited due to it being the end of "wedding season", and I don't want to have a church ceremony (I can't remember the last time I've attended a church)
 I feel that I have all the major details figured out (reception hall, wedding and bridesmaid dresses, DJs, etc), but um, where am I going to get married at?
I feel that I should just do a Justice of the Peace wedding (seems less stressful), but I don't know how to go about doing that, and what to expect, and I'm having a hard time finding a place to have my little offbeat wedding ceremony at.
Anyone else had a similar wedding ceremony? I would love to hear about it!
Visit The Knot!

Re: Offbeat Wedding Ceremony Ideas

• edited December 2011
    We have quite a few things in common! I'm a November bride too and I also can't remember the last time I was at a church. We've hired an officiant for our wedding and are having our ceremony at the reception venue. Because the weather can be unpredictable, I think this will be safest for our guests. I was really terrified of going to the JOP at city hall because I felt like city hall probably isn't very romantic looking for photos. Is there a certain part of town that you're looking at? And what kind of offbeat is your wedding?
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicVacation
  • kateventurekateventure member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Well,I say we're offbeat due to the theme of the wedding, which pretty much is vintage/1950's horror (think Mad Men with any B rated horror film from the 50's) with a colour scheme of white/black/jade. I've been looking at the Offbeat Bride website, but Ohio in general isn't that popular on there.
    I wanted to have the ceremony at the botanical gardens, or even the Metroparks, the reception is in Strongsville. My sister talked me out of having it at the gardens because it would be a drive for everyone, and limit picture times between the ceremony and the reception.
     The Metroparks ends renting the Chalet out at the end of October, my date is November 5th, but I'm thinking about calling and seeing if I can just have my VERY small ceremony (only immediate family) outside there.
    We are going to look at Strongsville Olde Towne Hall today, I like how "olde" it looks, but I don't know anyone who has had a ceremony there.
    If I did a JOP, I would be in and out, and be able tp get pictures taken outside (Mapleside Farms, the Metroparks and the courtyard of the reception hall) and I wasn't really sold on having my ceremony at the reception site, but it would make things a lot easier on my guests.
    Visit The Knot!
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you said no church, but the Frostville Museum in the Rocky River reservation isn't a real church -- rather, it WAS a church but has been restored and now is rented out. Perfect for a small wedding.
    http://www.olmstedhistoricalsociety.org/Frostville_Village_Church_Revis.html

Also, the Berea Historical Society rents out an old school house on Bagley Rd. My photographer actually did my bridal portraits there. I can picture it full of chairs for a ceremony, if you don't have a lot of guests. Maybe check on that, too?
    http://www.bereahistoricalsociety.org/site/
    Link to the Red Schoolhouse itself, to give an idea:
    http://www.baesel.com/berea/places/4places.htm

Other possible locations I'd consider 'offbeat' would include local theaters or wineries.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kateventurekateventure member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow, I love the pictures on the links! I'm going to be stopping by some of those places and/or make appointments this week.
    And I never thought about having it at a theater either! Looks like I have some work to do! Thank you so much!

Visit The Knot!
  • soontobemrs2soontobemrs2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does House of Blues or Agora Theatre do weddings?
  • rayro211rayro211 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    House of Blues does... Not sure about the Agora
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards