Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Outdoor Ceremony/Reception in May?

We found the perfect AZ (Phoenix area) venue for our wedding, but our ideal choice of dates is not available.  Because we have multiple siblings in college/graduate school, we are now looking at the last weekend of May because we really want to have this venue.  However, much of the ceremony and reception would be outside and I am concerned that it will be too hot. 

Also, I am not sure what time to have the ceremony and start serving dinner at the reception.  I have been told that I should have the ceremony just before sunset so we can take pictures afterwards and take advantage of the lighting.  In May, the sun does not set until close to 7:30.  If we wait that long, I wouldn't be serving our guests dinner until 7:30....Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Outdoor Ceremony/Reception in May?

• Options
    edited December 2011

My reception is May 30 and the ceremony will be outside. The reception is outside as well, but in a tent-like structure. I am planning on having the ceremony at 6PM, figure it will last until 6:30, then give us an hour (at most) to do some post-ceremony pics during cocktail hour for our guests (this way we will catch the sunset around the end of our hour of pics). If you ate by 7:30 you would still have quite enough time to dance / do all the other fun reception stuff.

I feel like end of May is pushing it heat-wise (I am hoping for under 100 degrees for the ceremony!) but I think once the sun starts to set it will be fine. We are also looking into renting portable AC units for the reception, just in case. Beginning to mid-May wouldn't be as bad, figure 90 degrees for the ceremony and then cooler later on...

HTH

• Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are the third weekend in may, and our ceremony is outside.  We are planning on having lots of ice cold water bottles and fans for everyone.  We are also keeping our ceremony short and sweet (20 minutes).  I think for an outside reception, you would probably need some sort of cooling system.  Misters might be cheaper to set up and operate than an AC unit.

Which venue is it?  Something like the Boojum (sp?) Tree venue might be ok.  It is supposed to be pretty cool in May, because they have lots of shaded trees, gardens, and water structures.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't go.  I'm very heat sensitive, and have been known to faint.  Sorry May brides!  It just wouldn't work for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having the ceremony and reception at a private estate north of Phoenix.  It is at least five degrees cooler up there, and while that doesn't seem like much, once the sun is down it cools down a lot more.  I was just worried about having things start so late.  I had planned on a short ceremony timed enough before sunset to do pictures afterwards before all the reception festivities.

Thanks for all the input :)
  • Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To me, 5 degrees makes a world of a difference.  With lots of water, I would say that you're probably fine :)  I know I'm going to be driving myself crazy stalking the weather reports haha!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jasnjen:  I was thinking that I wouldn't worry about the later time.  As long as its advertized on the invite - I would think everyone would realize they would be having dinner about an hour or so after the ceremony time
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a May bride too - but the 22nd, not last weekend. Our ceremony and reception are indoors, but the cocktail hour is outside. I think if you do everythign as planned, that late in May and outside, you should do fanprograms and provide bottled water. IF you do that it will be fine.

As far as time goes, I think may is too late in summer to plan a sunset ceremony. if sunset is at 7:30 the ceremony would go a bit past because of recessional  and getting everyone from that location to the next. Plus dinner doesn't generally start right away, you have a grand entrance, sometimes first dance (we are doing it after though) and toasts all before dinner is served. You are really looking more at 8:00 8:30 for dinner start time... and if you do pictures in between the ceremony and reception that makes it even later because dinner can't start without you.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again for all the input.  We have decided that rather than accommodate others schedules, we are going to have the wedding in April on a date that we like.  It makes me feel better about having everything outside.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards