Arizona-Phoenix

A friend or family member marry you?

We are planning on having my FI grandpa marry us, but we aren't sure what he has to do to become an officiant.  If you or someone you know did something like this PLEASE let us know! Thank you!!

Re: A friend or family member marry you?

• edited December 2011
    He can become an ordained minister online. Just Google it, and there are tons of websites out there where he can get officially ordained. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    My Uncle became ordained online (www.themonastery.org) and will be performing our ceremony.
    80 Ready to party! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother in law will be getting ordained online as well so he can perform our ceremony.  Tons of places offer it, most are free, just need to make sure they comply with AZ state law http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/25/00124.htm&Title=25&DocType=ARS
  • AMorris1104AMorris1104 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really appreciate all of your info and help! 

When they became ordained online was there a class or informatiion provided on how to conduct the ceremony?  I know this seems like a dumb question but all of the websites I've gone on seem to have you just fill out your name and infromation then they send you a card saying you are ordained lol.  It doesn't say anything about information on how to actually do it. 

• Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Looks like there are guides to purchase, but I'm pretty certain you can find most of it online for free.  Try searching on "wedding ceremony script" or something similar and you'll get a ton of links to check out.  I've started putting together a secular ceremony "script" based on information from about 10 different sites.  Also check out the websites for local officiants  - a lot of them will have a sample ceremony text on their site. 

• JmcrothersJmcrothers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies,

In Arizona, the statute notes as follows:

25-124. Persons authorized to perform marriage ceremony; definition

A. The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons who are authorized to marry:

1. Duly licensed or ordained clergymen.

2. Judges of courts of record.

3. Municipal court judges.

4. Justices of the peace.

5. Justices of the United States supreme court.

6. Judges of courts of appeals, district courts and courts that are created by an act of Congress if the judges are entitled to hold office during good behavior.

7. Bankruptcy court and tax court judges.

8. United States magistrate judges.

9. Judges of the Arizona court of military appeals.

B. For the purposes of this section, "licensed or ordained clergymen" includes ministers, elders or other persons who by the customs, rules and regulations of a religious society or sect are authorized or permitted to solemnize marriages or to officiate at marriage ceremonies.

Call the clerk of Superior Court in your county, they will tell you the specifics about how a person can perform a ceremony in Arizona.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards