Illinois-Chicago
Options

Average Cake Prices

Hey fellow knotties!
I was wondering if people wouldn't mind sharing what their cakes cost and what that cost covered.  

I'm looking for the average wedding cake price in the Chicago/Chicago-land area before I start calling around to various bakeries.

We're having ~100 people if that helps anyone.

Thanks so much!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
My food blog!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
June 2012 September Siggy Challenge

Re: Average Cake Prices

• Options
    Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake was from Vanille (shame that they have since stopped making wedding cakes) and it cost us $425 for a custom designed cake.  We got velvet cake which was really good!

When we ordered it, we wanted enough to feed 80 ppl since DH insisted guys "won't eat cake".  I got nervous and ended up ordering a generic sheet cake (another flavor) from Vanille for another $50.  It is true what they say....guests will NEVER know the difference.  I would recommend this to any budget bride.

At the end of the day, there was more than enough cake and we had some leftover to take home.  That cost included delivery but not tip for the delivery.  I also paid for the cake stand from a rental company which translated to another $50.

Many places charge "by the slice" - I have seen starting at $4 going up to $10. 
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our cake is covered by our reception place and we have to pay for any upgrades. We've decided to add sugar dahlia's to our cake so it's a charge of $80.
    I've seen prices from $3.50 a slice and up. Are there certain bakeries you're looking at? A way to cut costs is to have just a small cake for cutting and have a sheet cake in the back to be cut up and served.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amy Beck cake design which starts at about $6 a slice but depending on the kind of cake you get and the complexity of the design you want it can go up but this is the same with every bakery. She cost a bit more than some other shops we inquired with but we got so many compliments on the look of the cake and how moist and delicious it was. No regrets here!
  • Options
    fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Jarosch Bakery in Elk Grove Village, and I think their per-slice on most flavors was $2.50. I got a small 3-tier cake that feeds 85 for $250ish, and then a sheet cake in the same flavor for $90 that feeds 100. They had a really good selection, great flavors, and for the tasting they made a full 6" round cake in the flavors I requested.. for FREE! It's a little bit of a hike to go out there, but I went because it was one of the ones recommended by my venue, and I also had a cake credit from my venue to use.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

I'll have to look into Jarosch Bakery.  

Cheers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
This discussion has been closed.