Illinois-Chicago
Options

Hand Cancelling in Chicago?

So we are just about ready to send out our invitations this week. I did a test and sent one to me without hand cancelling them, and the envelope arrived a day later and a bit ripped and the address smeared.

Does anyone know of a post office in Chicagoland that will really allow you to hand cancel your envelopes and not end up running them through the machine anyway?

My post office on Dearborn and Adams said they don't do that and that no post office does anymore.

I wish I had time to send them to Bridal Veil, Oregon - but not only did we already buy our stamps, but I just don't have the time to send them.

Any help?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago?

• Options
    KVMW9182010KVMW9182010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the main post office on Canal just south of the loop and they hand canceled (which my parents verified when I recieved their invitation).  That was about nine months ago, though
  • Options
    kellym050370kellym050370 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The post office in the Willis Tower (I hate saying that) will hand cancel your invitations. They did it with my Save-The-Dates.
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is probably no help, but my mom mailed mine from Orland Park and they hand cancelled for her.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hand-cancelling-chicago-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:0d450994-43b7-4dc8-bfb9-e51b125a8d2fPost:9c7d3307-c8ed-4543-bba4-d3a5b38b324e">Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The post office in the Willis Tower (I hate saying that) will hand cancel your invitations. They did it with my Save-The-Dates.
    Posted by kellym050370[/QUOTE]

Yep. I had my invites hand cancelled here.  I'd try to speak w/Betsy.  She has shoulder length brown hair and bangs.  She and I became "friends" with all of my wedding mailings :O)
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours were hand canceled.  It has more to do with the postage you buy atleast that is what I understood.

I still got one back return to sender that had a hole where the charm was and was a bit beaten up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kellym050370kellym050370 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hand-cancelling-chicago-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:0d450994-43b7-4dc8-bfb9-e51b125a8d2fPost:8ae33fae-5cd0-4ac2-87dd-e0ae54a8b222">Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago? : Yep. I had my invites hand cancelled here.  I'd try to speak w/Betsy.  She has shoulder length brown hair and bangs.  She and I became "friends" with all of my wedding mailings :O)
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

Yes!!! She is great!  When I brought in my save the date she asked if she could see it because "she loves weddings!" ha ha!
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hand-cancelling-chicago-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:0d450994-43b7-4dc8-bfb9-e51b125a8d2fPost:0ef22a6e-70fc-432d-b79b-9e2532cbe9a7">Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago? : Yes!!! She is great!  When I brought in my save the date she asked if she could see it because "she loves weddings!" ha ha!
    Posted by kellym050370[/QUOTE]
     lol, she is the best!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh awesome! I'll have to go see Betsy tomorrow at the Willis Tower. Any better time to go? Thanks girls!! You made me feel so much better - I was starting to freak out!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hand-cancelling-chicago-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:0d450994-43b7-4dc8-bfb9-e51b125a8d2fPost:c1205d62-9a02-4864-8397-397612aa0041">Re: Hand Cancelling in Chicago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh awesome! I'll have to go see Betsy tomorrow at the Willis Tower. Any better time to go? Thanks girls!! You made me feel so much better - I was starting to freak out!!
    Posted by SoonToBeMrsDi[/QUOTE]

I'd avoid 11:30-1:30...they get busy for lunch.  Also, go at least 30 minutes before close (I think it's 5pm?)
  • Options
    This thread is a little old, but I just wanted to say that I went to the post office in Willis Tower yesterday when they weren't busy and spoke with Betsy. She would not hand cancel my Save the Dates. She said they could send them off requesting that they be hand cancelled, but she couldn't guarantee they would be. That wasn't a risk I wanted to take.

• Options
    This thread is a little old, but I just wanted to say that I went to the post office in Willis Tower yesterday when they weren't busy and spoke with Betsy. She would not hand cancel my Save the Dates. She said they could send them off requesting that they be hand cancelled, but she couldn't guarantee they would be. That wasn't a risk I wanted to take.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards