Illinois-Chicago
Options

What time does your reception end?

We are having a cocktail hour at 6 (which we will probably not be able to attend because of pics), dinner at 7, and dancing at 9 ish.  Our reception is scheduled to end at midnight but we have the option to extend until 1 am and we are thinking of doing that.What are the times for other people's reception?

Re: What time does your reception end?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well, mine is on a Sunday, but the hall is booked for a day event, so we can't start until 5:30.  So that will be cocktails, dinner at 6:30, and we have until 11 for the bar package, I think, but the room we can have until 1, so we are up in the air about it...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It ended at 11:30 and most people left in that last 1/2 hour.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dj is stopping at midnight, which is how late we have the location Do you have to decide in advance? you could always make a decision that night depending on how things were going
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception is at a hotel... so our reception ends between 1130 and 12, but we have a suite reserved for an "after party" that many of our younger guests will attend. The hotel bar is also open until 2 am, so if people want to keep going, that option is available as well!
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would check with your photographer, videographer, and especially your d.j. Because sometimes they charge A LOT extra for that extra hour because they consider it overtime. Check into those before you consider that extra hour.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours ended at 11:30 and like pp most people left within that last half hour - there were a few younger people who still wanted to stay out and went out after, but not enough for me to have wanted to pay to extend the reception
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WE are going to end ours at 12. We don't start til 7 anyway and are in a private residence, so we don't have to worry about end time.
  • Options
    Elizabeth7277Elizabeth7277 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Same as you, cocktail hour from 6-7 and dinner, etc 7-12 however I was told that midnight is absolute cut off, not any later.
  • Options
    Lea81Lea81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours starts at 6:30 and ends at midnight. If people want to stay out after they can go to the hotel bar thats open till 2. From my past experience with weddings that ended at 1. I was pretty much ready to leave around 12 anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours went from 7:00-12:30.  Most people must have thought it ended at midnight (that's usually the case for most weddings I've been to) so they left around that time.  The only ones that were left were my close friends.  I probably wouldn't waste money on having the hall later...just maybe plan something for after for guests who may want to continue the party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mine will be from 6-midnight
  • Options
    jmccaffjmccaff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine will be from 7:30 to 1 a.m.  We just get a 6 hour block (with 1 a.m. being the cut-off).  Since we are not having our ceremony until 6:30, we are just using the reception place until 1.  However, if we started earlier, not sure I would have the reception place until 1 a.m. - like a pp - the extension of the extra hour is usually for those who are going to stay out late anyway - and you are essentially just paying for them to have a few extra drinks - an after party location maybe another idea :)
  • Options
    shelly&nickshelly&nick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We extended ours until 1 am (had the same start times as you) and we were still packed on the dance floor at that time.  We were so happy we made it go as long as we could.  However, we did have to pay for each drink sold after midnight.  Our open bar was only until midnight.  My dad had no problem picking up the bill for the extra hour.
  • Options
    cmk1215cmk1215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shelly&nick - do you know how much extra the bar tab was for that last hour?  That is one thing we are concerned about.I think what we decided is we will keep it going until midnight and that night if we change our mind we have already talked with the DJ and venue an they both said it is fine if we decide to extend that night.  So I guess we will see  : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards