Illinois-Chicago
Options

NWR:Adoption

My DH and I are looking to adopt our first dog. Does anyone have some suggestions of great places to adopt? We're looking for a small to medium size dog due to the size of our condo. TIA.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR:Adoption

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have always gotten my pets from Orphans.  My sister is part of several rescues though, those are always good to look at as well.  Rescues are very good with their animals.  Before they are adopted out, they are 100% healthy, up to date on vaccinations and any medical problems have been treated.  It typically costs more, but shelters are not on top of it like rescues are.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you in the city?Animal Care and Control has some of the dogs that are most in need/ They always have a good selection, but due to the size and lack of volunteers they don't always have a good idea of the dog's history.Anti-Cruelty is usually pretty good too, but they tend to have me to large size dogs.PAWs is pretty awesome! They take some of the dogs Animal Control and work more with them.Also most breed rescues are good to work with if you know what you want.If you have more questions email me at simplysorry at gmailI volunteered before and just went thru the adoption process.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just adopted our dog from Almost Home, they are located in Elk Grove Village. You can see pictures of their dogs on their website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we got our husky from animal care and control. it took a few trips to find a dog that i fell in love with. but i am so happy that i got him from the shelter. i feel like we saved him and he has for sure made my life better. good luck. its so much fun getting to know your new "baby"
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad that you guys are looking to adopt! My mom volunteers at an animal shelter and she also adopted a dog from a different shelter. I went with her during the process and it was very interesting. We went to a few different places and some were very strict and very detailed in their interviewing. When I went with my mom to adopt a dog, I was taken aback by the amount of dogs that needed homes. It was kind of hard to see them b/c I just wanted to help all of them. In the end it's about finding a pet that you will bond with and that will bond with you. Good luck!
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was on this site this morning www.hoperescues dot com I think FI and I need a new friend.HTH
    image Ready or not here we go !
  • Options
    rouhasrouhas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we adopeted our Bichon Pup Sebastian from Help a Pooch Rescue in Algonquin. he's great! Congras on adopting!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG, Wright Way Rescue in Niles.  They get all the puppies from the kill shelters in Illinois and Kentucky and bring them up here.  They have the cutest mixed dogs.... you can call them and reserve one of the dogs they have, and then meet the pup on the weekend.  It's around $200,but they have their shots and stuff and you get a discount on getting fixed.  We got a supposed Terrier/Husky mix, whose body is the size of a large fat Jack Russell and her face looks like a german shepherds. Goofiest looking thing ever.  She ended up 40 pounds which is perfect for our condo.  Good luck!!!!  the site is www dot wrightwayrescue dot net
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • Options
    ZelloZello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we adopted our dog, Zeus, from Kay's Animal Shelter in Arlington Heights. We were very pleased with the facility, and how well cared for the animals were. They are constantly getting new litters of puppies, of varying breeds and mixes. We think Zeus is a mix of shepherd and cattle dog, and although we thought he would get bigger, he turned out to be the perfect size of 51lbs...and the perfect puppy. :) Adopting is wonderful. Good luck in your search!
    smiley dance get down

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC#1 since July 2010
    6/23/11: Met with RE, began testing
    8/4/11: Follow-up with RE
    LPD, AMH 0.62 (DOR) and hypothyroidism
    8//19/11 - IUI#1 w/Follistim + Ovidrel = BFN
    9/12/11 - IUI#2 w Follistim + Ovidrel = BFP!
    Beta 1 = 197 @ 14dpo / Beta 2= 519 @ 16dpo / Beta 3 = 1563 @ 18dpo
    Due June 1st, 2012~~Born May 22nd, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! We'll be checking into several of your suggestions this weekend. We'll have guests over Thanksgiving, so we want to get our baby soon so that he/she is somewhat settled into our home before the holiday. You're the best for giving us a great head start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww lucky you..I want a dog so bad! Def check petfinder.com and PAWS, you can do a search in your area to adopt. Don't know where you are located, but in the sububs, Naperville Animal Shelter or Anderson Animal Shelter
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards