Ohio-Northeast

Church Fees?

FI and I have decided we want to get married in his late Grandpas church. I contacted the church and it is $600 to get married there as a non-member (his Grandpa was a member there forever, we are not members). I am unsure if this is a reasonable price to use the church. I thought it was a bit high, but I don't know the average prices for the area either. It is important and meaninful to honor his Grandpa that is unable to be there, so it is worth it, but I was just wondering if that is pretty normal for the area. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Church Fees?

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say that it depends on the church, its locale, architecture, size, what's included (any counseling/classes, etc, in addition to ceremony related extras like musicians), and general popularity (because of those factors). The Old Stone Church is hugely popular and gorgeous (old style, classic church feel) with a very central location and their price is around $1k, IIRC. DH and I were married at a newer, modern suburban church in Middleburg Hts. that we aren't/weren't members of and the cost was around $350. For your particular church, $600 might be about right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    $600 is actually a good price.  We paid just under $1000 being a non-member.  we however went through a few classes in the process.  It was well worth it!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I never knew people had to pay for the church if they were a member or allowed to use the church if they weren't.  Learn something new every day.
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-northeast_church-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:111Discussion:e6d6fe43-d486-4c50-8098-b7bbae02d7c1Post:8152b19c-0765-4820-929e-41fc7e6946cd">Re: Church Fees?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I never knew people had to pay for the church if they were a member or allowed to use the church if they weren't.  Learn something new every day.
    Posted by 415612375002686[/QUOTE]

Every church is different. Not every church will marry non-members, but some will (for a fee of some kind). Some require either the bride or groom to be a member in order for the marriage to take place there. Some have requirements where the nonmember must convert. And, some denominations require you to use their officiant instead of bringing in your own.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to ask what does it take to become a member and if you can what is the price then if you are a member because becoming a member is normally not much at least i know at my family church which is a baptist church its not much you have to do and you dont have to go all the time and if you are a member is it free.
    228 Summonedimage 29 Ready to Partyimage 7 Missing the funimage 192 MIA image
  • edited December 2011
    I would do that, however, FI and I don't live in the area. We live in NC but are orginally from Ohio, which is why we are getting married there. Thanks for the idea, I wish I could do that. It seems like it's pretty reasonable from what pp are saying though!
  • ralpineralpine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in the Catholic church that I'm a member at and it is going to be 700 dollars, so that sounds like a fair price to me for being a nonmember.  Does it include the organist too?  There's little things that our church added like that and alter boys.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-northeast_church-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:111Discussion:e6d6fe43-d486-4c50-8098-b7bbae02d7c1Post:5897b933-c4a0-4b6a-b3f9-061ea9ea7eaa">Re: Church Fees?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married in the Catholic church that I'm a member at and it is going to be 700 dollars, so that sounds like a fair price to me for being a nonmember.  Does it include the organist too?  There's little things that our church added like that and alter boys.
    Posted by ralpine[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>is this a church in the area? i am getting married in the catholic church where i am a member and it's free! 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is November 11th, 2011

244 invited 98 accepted! 12 can't make it 134 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 25th, 2011

• edited December 2011
    We have to pay a little under $1000 for a church as a nonmember. That includes an organist, day-of coordinator, and classes.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards