Illinois-Chicago
Options

Did you buy your dress from Kathryn's in McHenry?

I bought my dress there and had a GREAT experience...

But I need to have my dress altered now... and I was hoping to start 6 weeks out... well they insist that I start 8 weeks out... which is now and they said that if I wait any longer I would need to take my dress somewhere else.

Now isn't 8 weeks out too early?!?!?  I'm afraid that I'm going to go for my fitting now and then have changes in my waist and need to get it taken more. 

I'm just trying to see how this worked out for other brides that purchased from there... also are the alterations prices pretty competitive or are they outrageously more expensive???

Last question... does anyone have any reccomendations for a great bridal seamstress in chicago?  in case I decide to have my dress altered elsewhere?
Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary

Re: Did you buy your dress from Kathryn's in McHenry?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_did-you-buy-your-dress-from-kathryns-in-mchenry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:29cc2fba-488f-4815-b330-6e552030490ePost:960d7e91-2c80-4c29-8a34-85ed5826e673">Did you buy your dress from Kathryn's in McHenry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought my dress there and had a GREAT experience... But I need to have my dress altered now... and I was hoping to start 6 weeks out... well they insist that I start 8 weeks out... which is now and they said that if I wait any longer I would need to take my dress somewhere else. Now isn't 8 weeks out too early?!?!?  I'm afraid that I'm going to go for my fitting now and then have changes in my waist and need to get it taken more.  I'm just trying to see how this worked out for other brides that purchased from there... also are the alterations prices pretty competitive or are they outrageously more expensive??? Last question... does anyone have any reccomendations for a great bridal seamstress in chicago?  in case I decide to have my dress altered elsewhere?
    Posted by venus909[/QUOTE]

My dress is at Kathryn's as we speak. My wedding is June 15. I took it there on March 27 and go back for a fitting on May 17. I needed it taken in several inches all the way from the top through the hips and that is $80. My dress is 100% silk and has a lot of layers so the hem is $180. I think the bustle is going to be about $75. I'm not sure how this compares to other alterations in the area. I got my dress from Kathryn's for free though through Brides Across America because my FI is in the military so the least I could do is pay them for the alterations. Also, I know that they KNOW how to alter wedding dresses and that was worth any extra money it may cost.

I thought Marh was really early but since I go back in May to get fitted again and fix anything else, I'm ok with it. I think they said it would be ready one week before the wedding. For what it's worth, I really liked the lady doing my alterations and felt that she was really knowledgable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter purchased her dress at Kathryn's and had alterations done there as well.  Her alterations were minimal as far as the dress.  But her hemline was very complicated (she had a layer of rolled tulle).  The seamstress had to take the hem up via the waistline.  My daughter also had a complicated 9 point bustle.  The seamstress did an incredibly fantastic job on all of it.  The price for all of the alterations, I felt, was unbelievably reasonable considering the craftsmanship of the work, and in comparison to other seamstresses, their rates, and the quality of their work. 

Sewing bra cups directly into the dress cost $25 (and included the cost of the cups); and the bustle was $90.  I personally don't feel that starting alterations at 8 weeks out is unreasonable.  Keep in mind that the shop is very busy and has to accommodate a lot of clients.  I think the most difficult part for us was the limited hours offered for alteration appointments.  I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Just a warning.....IF you remove your dress from their shop, and then try to return to have something done to it, do not be surprised if they decline.  They will maintain 100% responsibility as long as the dress remains "in their care".  Once it leaves their shop, however, they do not want to be held "accountable" if anything happens to a dress and it isn't noticed until it is back in their shop.
  • Options
    Pffff.  I went to Kathryn's first, and the first dress I tried on is the one I bought - at Volle's in Lake Zurich, my sixth store.  Kathryn's lied about the designer to make it hard for me to find elsewhere, marked up the price $300 too. 

But anyway, I'd think the sooner you get in to start fittings the better. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  I went yesterday to my alteration appt and it went fairly well... I'm a little concerend with the way they said they would do my hem (must be very complicated since she chared me $200 for it!) but I figured she was the professional and knew what she was doing.  I supposed the pricing was ok... I don't have much to compare it too... but for the price I paid I expect my dress to look perfect ;)

I'm also a bit worried about my bustle...  I may call them today and tell them not to do it.  And the available time for fittings is very frustrating....

but in the end the appt went better than I thought.  My next fitting is June 14th and I leave for DR for my wedding on June 27th... so hopefully that gives them enough time to make any changes if need me... the timing WORRIES me!
    Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
    The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards