Illinois-Chicago

S/O: SS Office for Name Change

Hi ladies!

I was married in my hometown, the Quad Cities, on 10/16/10 and now after an amazing HM am back in Chicago!

I am eager to change my name but the downtown Social Security office is only open M-F, 9-4.

Any advise on time of day (or day of the week) to go or to avoid?  Any idea how long this will take if I bring my form in already filled out?

Thanks!

Re: S/O: SS Office for Name Change

• netgrl22netgrl22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went this past Tuesday.  I arrived at 8:45 and was the first person there and done by 9:05.  The weather was not good which may have helped.  The employee I worked with told me that it's best to arrive first thing in the morning.  I've also heard that the last day of the month and mondays can be busier at government offices.
  • barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or if you cant get there early, go around 10 or around 2:15.....lunchtime rush is bad
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I went this past Friday around 1 ish and it wasn't too bad.  May 20 min wait.
  • edited December 2011
    I too went first thing in the morning and it wasn't bad at all.
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Great, thanks ladies!  I think I'll try to sneak away from work when they open, or at the end of my lunch, around 1pm

• katterinakkatterinak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do suggest having the paperwork already filled out.  Just in case you are in there a little longer than expected, atleast you'll save some time.
  • edited December 2011
    Where do you get the paperwork from and which forms are necessary?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards