Ohio-Northeast

hair/make up costs - recommendations

Hey!  Getting married in about 8 weeks and just got costs from my normal hairdresser (who I think is on the expensive side for every day stuff, but I am always happy when I leave so I pay it anyway) for wedding day hair and make-up.  What is typical in Cleveland?  She wants $350 for my hair and make-up and $150 each for the bridesmaids.  
That seems outrageously high to me.  Am I just being naive?  She is coming to us on a Friday during the day for a Friday night wedding, but she said an hour for each bridesmaid and 2 hours for me so that's $800 for 5 hours of work - over $150 an hour... That just strikes me as insane.

So - anyone have any recommendations of someone great who will be more reasonably priced?  Is she off her rocker, or am I?  

Thanks!

Re: hair/make up costs - recommendations

• edited December 2011
    Loopy- I got married in SC,and the lady I had did my hair and airbrush make-up for $225. And my MOH airbrush make-up,and hair too, for $150. And she drove out to us.

So I'm quite sure you can find a cheaper price that sounds kind of steep to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That does sound high. BTW, if you are looking to save money, you'll save a bunch by going to the salon instead of having the stylist/artist come to you. When I priced someone to come to us, I was quoted something like $100 per person (for hair only -- I wasn't getting makeup quotes). We ended up going to a local salon instead, where an updo was $50 and I think makeup was $25 (I did my own makeup though). We used Illusion Unlimited in Strongsville. It was ony 10 min from my house where we were getting ready.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I also think that those prices are high. I don't know where you are getting married, but I reccomend Ladies and Gentlemen Salon. They have someone who works as a bridal consultant and it has been great working with her so far. Their prices are good as well and they are a no tipping salon. Their locations are legacy village and mentor.

I also agree that having someone come out to you will be even more expensive than a salon!
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds super high to me. I paid $180 total to have my hair done, as well as my 5 bridesmaids.  Yes, I did get a *slight* discount since these people have known me since I was 3; however, it was not drastically different from their usual up-do prices... maybe $10-$15 off per person.  I had my make-up done by a Mary Kay woman, though she said if I bought one of the palettes, then she would come and do the make-up day of, for everyone, for free.  So, I basically paid $60 for her to do the make-up for myself and 4 of my bridesmaids, which I was totally okay with.  I don't know if that's normal practice as she is the neighbor of my SIL; however, I know she wouldn't charge anywhere near what your person is trying to charge.

If I were you, I'd look into other places -- there's nothing wrong with looking and doing some price comparison.  Cost will depend on where you go; however, what she quoted you just seems so high!  I wish I could get paid $800 for 5 hours of work! hehe.  GL!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    WoW I would never pay that kind of money! I was going to get my hair done (along with my bridesmaids ) at the salon I normally go to , which is pricey to begin with but I love it there. Before I priced it  out, I was referred to someone who is a friend of a friend and she comes to the house and only charges $30 for an updo and $40 for hair and makeup! At first I would think she wasn't legit but I just saw pics from someones wedding she did and everyone looked fabulous! Also, an hour for each person seems ridiculous... I would shop around if I were you! Good luck!
  • LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to know I'm not insane about the price.  FSIL used to do hair so she's checking a few of her contacts, and a coworker's wife works at an Aveda salon near the venue so we may just go there instead of having someone come to us.  
    I am actually trying to set up a spa day for the day before the wedding at Ladies and Gentlemen's in Legacy... I didn't realize they were a no tipping salon.  That's nice to know :).

• kashiitankashiitan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im kinda stressing on this as well :( I am trying to find someone around the akron/cf falls area and its being troublesome for high prices
    Planning Bio
    106image Invited
    89image Accepted
    9image Declined
    0image Waiting

• edited December 2011
    Hey I have my Ohio Managing cosmetology license and Im a Certified Make-Up artist that specializes in Air Brush Make-Up, I come to you the day of the wedding and I do trail runs!! Email me for prices.... missmartabell@gmail.com 
  • edited December 2011
    Keep in mind, as with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Hiring a professional makeup artist- whether in a salon or if they come to you- will give you the best look for your photos. Someone knowledgeable and talented will be able to perfectly execute a look right on the line between photo-ready and face-to-face flawless. If you're unhappy with the price you've been quoted from one artist, shop around. A great way to check, also, is with local photographers- not necessarily wedding photographers, always, but model photographers as well. Ask them for recommendations of freelance makeup artists. Also, certain makeup counters are known for their high level of artistry as opposed to just being about sales, and actually encourage their artists to freelance away from the counter/store. Check there, too- as they do hundreds- or even thousands- of brides every year :)

Hope that helps! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards