Illinois-Chicago

HELP! Downtown photo places with no permit needed?

FI and I had planned on going to Navy Pier for photos, but they finally got back to us and said that Crystal Gardens will not be open. There goes that plan! Since we aren't doing that the new plan is to hire a limo to take us to one or more photo spots, but the cost of the limo (and the fact that our wedding is in just 3 days) means we can't afford a photo permit.

Our wedding is at the Westin on Michigan Avenue. Do you have any recommendations for cool places nearby that don't require permits? Does anyone know if Millennium Park requires a permit? We will only have 1.5 hours so we don't want to drive too far.

Thanks!
imageimage
BFP on Jan. 18; EDD Oct. 1
EDD Oct. 1image

Re: HELP! Downtown photo places with no permit needed?

• Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We took our engagement photos at the LP Conservatory and the park itself...no permit needed. It's right by the zoo.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We took our engagement pictures all around downtown. For your wedding if it rains, you will find that all the indoor locations require a permit. Places like the Rookery, Union Station and most landmarks have permit fees ranging from $100-$1000 which is a lot. I also saw in the Chicago Tribune that photographers cannot take pictures anymore on the el/CTA. :(
  • raeynraeyn member
    edited December 2011
    No photos allowed on the CTA? That's crazy!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming!
    imageimage
    EDD Oct. 1image
  • vszymanvszyman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard the cultural center... if you want to go inside, and there is a beautiful staircase... you might have to call first but no cost to you.

I did mine on Michigan avenue (400N) in the median (really fun and cool--- tons of different angles- i'll post some pics soon), and at the bean with no problems.
  • edited December 2011
    We did our engagement photos all around Millennium Park, Grant Park, Art Institute (outside) and the waterfront. We didn't need permits for any of those and we got them all in less than an hour walking.  Of course, those options may be quite chilly....
  • edited December 2011
    I had no idea about not being able to take photos on the CTA anymore. there were always so many cool shots of knotties with the trains and platforms. i just found this on google http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Losing-Focus-CTA-Cracks-Down-on-Photography-82138272.html
  • lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We wanted to take engagement photos at the Rookery and the Cultural Center last September and they told us that we couldn't unless we actually had our event there.  I can't remember which one it was that was REALLY snotty about it, too- "*tsk* We get people requesting to take pictures here all the time and we just can't do it."  Um, ok.  Sorry I asked.  It was just going to be the two of us and a photographer- no bridal party or anything.

We ended up at the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool, and then around Marina City, around the Wrigley Building, near the Chicago Theater...I think we found the cleanest alley in the city to take pictures in, too- across from the Chicago Theater, if I remember correctly.

Oo, here's the link: http://www.karaschultz.com/2009/09/downtown-chicago-engagement-photography/
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on LP Conservatory - it's indoors if you get there during operating hours. Caldwell Lily pond is right aroudn the corner, as is the Zoo and the lakefront. We did all our e-photos there and didn't need a permit. I've heard of people going to Millenium Park, and as long as your photog doesn't use a tripod and you're not there for a very long time, you're usually ok. But techincally, you do need a permit.
  • edited December 2011
    there are so many pretty areas around the city outdoors. the only thing that would stink is if it rained. the lilly pond is really breathtaking. they have all those nice rock structure things.
  • raeynraeyn member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! My photog said the LP Conservatory requires a permit, so he won't go there. He seems to be fine with Millennium Park, though, so I think we'll just do that. I don't mind braving the cold! It looks like it will thankfully be too cold for rain, though we may get some snow. I'll just have to wait and see.
    imageimage
    EDD Oct. 1image
  • edited December 2011
    If you dont mind being outside and like the cityscape, LaSalle and Adams is dead on Saturdays. You can walk in the streets and it is in front of the board of trade building. Pictures in bio.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards