Illinois-Chicago

Beautiful and UNIQUE reception venue without lofty feel?

Hello!  I am new to the knot and newly engaged!  My fiance and I are looking for a reception venue that is outside the box of hotels and banquet halls but that doesn't have that industrial loft feel.  We live in the north/northwest suburbs so that area would be ideal, but we are open to any suggestions!  Thank you so so much!

Re: Beautiful and UNIQUE reception venue without lofty feel?

• ARJ6511ARJ6511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about a country club? That isn't too banquet-like and it isn't a hotel. Most have patios where you could do an outdoor cocktail hour if weather permits. 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! How about:
    -Brookfield Zoo
    -Cuneo Mansion
    -Cantigny
    -Mayslake Peabody Estate
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The north and NW burbs can be fairly expansive.  It would help if you could be more specific in terms of the area you are looking.  Also, do you have an estimate of your guest count?  Would you be having the ceremony there as well?

The Makray in Barrington has the feel and look of a Scottish castle.  It has amazing "curb appeal".  The Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake is very unique, but is not all inclusive, so it takes a bit more work to plan an event there.  Independence Grove in Libertyville is nice, as is Kemper Lakes in Long Grove.  Mansion-esque facilities range from venues in Lake Forest to the Lehman Mansion in Lake Villa.  There is an open art gallery in Harvard. The Metopolis Ballroom in Arlington Heights, and the Genessee Theatre in Waukegan, are reminiscent of a theatre.

There are many country clubs that are nice and have the benefit of offering only one event per evening.  My daughter held her wedding at The Arboretum in Buffalo Grove.  It has a patio that looks out onto the golf course, and is available for use as well at no additional cost.  We highly recommend that venue in terms of personnel, food, and cost.
  • edited December 2011
    Pazzo's 311 is unique & stunning!  However it's downtown.  It is an atrium with tall palm tree's and a fountain.  We are having both our ceremony & reception there.  Good Luck!  BTW- the prices are really great for being downtown. 
  • edited December 2011
    I only have ideas for the city, but I recommend checking out Spiaggia (lake view) or Grand Piazza (gorgous skyline).  GL!
    Biorama
    September 2012 August Siggy Challenge ~ Wedding Preview
    185 image 116 image 69 image 0 image RSVP Date: August 10
  • edited December 2011
    If you are looking in the Evanston/Winnetka area, check out Winnetka Community House.  It has an outdoor garden right off the reception area, so depending on the time of year that you have your ceremony you could take advantage of both places.  Good luck!
  • mbuhpathimbuhpathi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Winnetka Community House and Kennilworth Club were places we looked but they didn't fit the capacity we needed. You might want to take a look at them. There is also chicagoweddingvenues.com that has pics of a lot of banquet halls and other kinds of wedding places.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards