Illinois-Chicago
Options

Has anyone used the "themonastery.org" to ordain their officiate?

I live in Illinois and askng my brother to officiate our wedding.  Websites I found says that in dupage county, it must be an ordained minister or justice of the peace.   This website says that anyone can be ordained for free and just fill out the applicaiton.  Is this legit and has anyone used this before?  Is it really that simple?

Re: Has anyone used the "themonastery.org" to ordain their officiate?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    They say they are part of the Universal Life Church but another website says otherwise.

"Church headquarters terminated all ties with them years ago, after it came to the church's attention that the ulc.org domain name was no longer under the control of the legitimate ULC Monastery in Tucson.  Ordinations and other transactions conducted with "The Monastery" since that time are entirely unrelated to the original ULC in Modesto.   A marriage in Pennsylvania, in which a person ordained by "The Monastery" presided, was recently nullified by a court on the basis that it was not a properly ordained minister, and other states have rejected their ordinations for purposes of officiating marriage as well."
  • Options
    We got married in Cook County, but we ordained our friend through Universal Life Church.  I believe it was free to ordain and then they charged for certificates to show they were ordained.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards