Illinois-Chicago

David's Bridal alterations... Grrrr....

I suppose this is what you get when you go to the Walmart of bridal ...

I went in to the Vernon Hills location for my fitting there and they said I needed to go to a "specialty" bra store because I am an "odd" shape (meaning I am thin with relatively big boobs, so they had to let my dress out in the bust but take it in everywhere else). Those were their words, not mine.

So, I go back to try on the dress after they complete it, and there is a flaw near one of the hips (a bit of bulging fabric), so they say they will fix it and I can come back the next day. So I do, but then I notice that it seems like there is too much fabric in in the middle back of my dress and it looks ill-fitting. They pretty much said all they could do is steam it and it would kind of solve the problem, but not completely. In this area, they blamed the shape of my body for the flaw as well.

I had a fine experience buying the dress there, but if you get the dress there, do the alterations somewhere else. My mom (who has been sewing longer than those alterations women have been alive) had to basically tell them what to do. They are generally just nasty women there.

Re: David's Bridal alterations... Grrrr....

• edited December 2011
    Wow, I'm sorry you have to deal with that!!!! That sucks!!! I'm sure you don't have an odd body, so don't think that for even a second. 
  • edited December 2011
    ugh!  i'm so sorry.  i went there with my mom for a consultation and our consultant was vile, not to mention double booked (on a friday at 2pm!-please.).  we ran for the hills!

first of all - i've never seen you but i'm 100% sure you are not an ODD shape.  they just don't listen or really know what they're doing over there.  which is a shame as they actually have some pretty dresses.  i'm 4'11" and a 32F and our consultant spent 10 minutes pulling a 38D corset, because she wasn't paying attention when i pulled my own strapless bra out of my purse and she figured that was "the closest size"!  cuckoo!

are you still able to take the dress to a 2nd seamstress?  i know it's another cost but it might be worth it.  i'm sorry. :(  if it were me i'd want that dress out of their clutches ASAP!  i'm sure you'll be able to get it fixed, and even if it's not 100% perfect, i'm sure nobody will notice and you're going to look gorgeous.
  • barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry...I wen tthere for mine and they did a great job!
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    My dress is a DB dress and I'm definately NOT getting my alterations done there!

I was interested in a dress that I wanted the neckline to be changed to a sweetheart and they had a person from alterations come out to see if it could be done.  He took one look at it and was like, No.  He didn't even look at me or adress me at all...he was acting like he was royalty of some sort!  

When I booked my seamstress, I asked her if it was possible and she said absolutely...it's just that DB doesn't like to do anything midly difficult.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • julieadamskijulieadamski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Motogirl..

David's Bridal cannot alter the actual design of a dress since the store is contracted by the designers to not alter a dress' design (aka: making a straight neckline into a sweetheart, adding extra beading/trimming, etc.). I used to work at DB and that's what I would tell my brides who wanted to turn a dress into a sweetheart neckline...that they would just have to go somewhere else to get that done.
    The alterations department at DB is really wonderful, and I'm sorry that you, @Agape, had a horrible expereience!!

But...ps...i've heard not so good things about the Vernon Hills DB...if you can make it into the boarder of the city, try the Norridge DB. The staff is WONDERFUL there. I've gotten many b.maids dresses of mine there and my mom got a dress altered there with no problems.
    Visit Military.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards