Illinois-Chicago

Hotel Baker St Charles

Hi all, Anyone had their wedding, been in a wedding, or attended a wedding at Hotel Baker in St Charles? We are looking to book there and it is a Christmas wedding. I'm looking for feedback hopefully positive.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hotel Baker St Charles

• great staff from the minimal contact ive had with the venue. never been to a wedding there but have previewed the venue. its very beautiful
  • we looked at it in August, it's very pretty. but didn't work out for us. We wanted the smaller of the two rooms (i can't remember the name of it now) because we are having between 70-90 people. unforutnately, the room was way too small. we would have to completely break down all the tables in order to have a dance floor.

the bigger room was nice. i loved the waterfront accessibility. and the rose garden would be perfect for cocktail hour.

something to consider is that the "seperate" outdoor spaces are VERY close together. so if you are getting married on a saturday there will probably be another wedding using the other room, and you will definitely see them when you are outside. there's nothing to divide the space

one other thing. there is a free public parking garage a few blocks away but i think it would fill up fast on a saturday night, leaving your guests without anywhere to park. unless you did a valet. the garage is kind of small and parking is limited

the coordinators seemed really on top of everything, and i love the idea of getting married at an old hotel!  dont want to discourage you, just wanted to give you some things to think about when you view the space.

good luck, i hope it works out for you

Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, yes we plan on having a few valets and have both the rainbow and waterfront rooms reserved. Also, it will be in winter so I'm so excited about all the Christmas decorations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding will be in the Waterfront Room. We are soooo excited about this! We're having about 100 guests and the room is just delightful! The managers there have been incredibly helpful and accomodating, offering other rooms to assist us in having space for a photobooth, ceremony, etc. The waterfront room is so nice in that it comes with the waterfront patio for cocktail hour. This was one of the main reasons we chose the room! I have family and friends who have been to weddings there and they have only had good things to say about it. 
  • Honestly, I was a guest at a wedding Hotel Baker at the room with the lighted floor.  Looks neat in pics food was good, but I was seated on the top floor for dinner and as a guest I didn't care for it.  I felt like I was wasn't a guest at a weddin,g but rather just watching a strangers wedding.  I also didn't like that I had to run up and down the stairs during the evening. It wasn't easy to see everything that was going on from certain angles.  Just something to consider.
  • Honestly, I was a guest at a wedding Hotel Baker at the room with the lighted floor.  Looks neat in pics food was good, but I was seated on the top floor for dinner and as a guest I didn't care for it.  I felt like I was wasn't a guest at a weddin,g but rather just watching a strangers wedding.  I also didn't like that I had to run up and down the stairs during the evening. It wasn't easy to see everything that was going on from certain angles.  Just something to consider.
  • Hotel Baker was my dream venue. However, I have talked to several people who worked there as well as have attended weddings there. Everyone said it was just so so. The staff is suppose to be rude and unhelpful. There online reviews are not good. I don't think you get the service that should be expected for what they charge per plate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hotel-baker-st-charles-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e186571e-abed-44e9-9d03-90b142b80923Post:d09b35b9-1124-4110-b4ec-7f6bd979e137">Re: Hotel Baker St Charles</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hotel Baker was my dream venue. However, I have talked to several people who worked there as well as have attended weddings there. Everyone said it was just so so. The staff is suppose to be rude and unhelpful. There online reviews are not good. I don't think you get the service that should be expected for what they charge per plate.
    Posted by vmoran32[/QUOTE]

<div>I had heard the same thing but they've completely changed their staff recently and are much better than in the past. I have received nothing but excellent and timely service there. They are incredibly accomodating, helpful, and willing to work with you. I'm working with Christiane and she is great!</div>
  • FYI...................

WE DECIDED NOT TO GO WITH HOTEL BAKER!!!!!

General manager was unwilling to work with us, even in a situation about stupid appetizers that would save them over $400.00!!!!

Catering manager is a COMPLETE MORON!!!!  Decided we can't chance such a big day with such incompetence.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We also were working with Christiane and she is an idiot!  PS, a member of their staff just up and quit and she seems pretty miserable about her job as well..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SJM76--Do you know if Liz quit or which staff person quit?  I worked with LIz and I absolutely loved working with her!!  She was so nice and accommodating.

I got married at Hotel Baker in July and it was absolutley perfect including the service and the food.  All of our guests kept talking for months about how they loved the Rainbow Room and how gorgeous it was.  I had friends tell me they really liked sitting in the balcony and loved how quaint it felt. 
  • edited March 2012

I did not work with Liz.  Hotel Baker was my dream location but we found a better location with pristine staff and accommodations.

The issue was over an appetizer which would have saved the Hotel almost 500.  The last email I received from them stated they would not be able to accommodate our request.  I did not reply because I was so furious, and they never called to follow up OR send us a follow up email.  Basically, that was the last correspondence I had with them.

Very terrible service and management.Yell

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards