Illinois-Chicago

John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??

Hi,

I was at a wedding expo and he was one of the vendors there.  I happened to win a discount package from him HOWEVER I cannot find reviews on him online...and I tried searching the board with no luck...

I was not planning on having a videographer but now I am kind of interested since I won lol.  But I do not want to pay if he is going to be horrible.  The video he showed at the expo was awesome but who knows how he really is...

Any reviews for him would be awesome...

Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??

• edited December 2011
    Are you able to see a full length video of his?  I've unfortunately discovered that videographers may have the most amazing highlight video but when it comes to the full length video, they aren't as good in focus, sound and composition.
  • edited December 2011
    hm, never heard of him.  I did a google check and didnt see anything on him either.  it would def make me nervous!  I'd also be leary of the "win a discount package"... I swear, after every bridal show I go to I get phone calls with the same gimmick.  I'd recommend cross referencing his prices to other vendors before you completely fall for the "discount package".  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:8c603951-c8c4-4b02-869d-74009b76c75f">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you able to see a full length video of his?  I've unfortunately discovered that videographers may have the most amazing highlight video but when it comes to the full length video, they aren't as good in focus, sound and composition.
    Posted by MINDMNMO[/QUOTE]
    That is what we ran into when looking for video. Some had really nice highlights, but when you actually looked at the full dvd, many shots, out of focus, shakey, color was off and sound problems. We choose our videographer because everything was really good from start to finish.
  • akakoli81akakoli81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did the google check thing too and thats why i decided to ask the knot boards..becuase it made me nervouse.  

The video he had playing on the expo was a whole video but I only saw part of it because I was not going to stand and watch it hehe..

His prices before the discount are about the same as other places..so I just do not know...I think I will meet with him and see what my gut tells me.  

thanks for all your help :) 

Hopefully a knottie has heard of him and can tell me bad or good but so far nada
  • edited December 2011
    Be very careful. Make sure you get some references from him when you meet him and call them all.
    I made a horrible error chosing a videographer that was highly highly recommended. He had a stellar price, but did not communicate before (just a final confirmation of place and time) or after the wedding and I had to nag him endlessly to get my video after the wedding. Many others used him and had the same problems. It wasn't worth it, not knowing if I would even get my video. In the end he delivered, almost 6 months after our wedding.
    Make sure he communicates well with you after the wedding and actually delivers the contracted services. If his pricing is in line with other vendors that have been recommended here like Orange Video and Midwest Video, I would go with one of those  vendors or others recommended over the unknown guy. BUYER BEWARE with all wedding services, do your homework and don't make decisions based on price alone.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you.  I am definately going to get refreneces if I meet with him.  One of my staff's nieces went with a video guy and ended up with a horrible sound and etc video ...It is scary to have to trust people you do not really know...(vendors I mean) 
  • daizee32daizee32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering the same thing because I supposedly won too.  lol   50% off right? 
    I checked his prices and WITH the 50% off he is comparable to other vendors I've researched.

I got a bad feeling right off the bat, especially since there's nothing on him online.  Anywhere. 

I'm steering clear.  Just my 2 cents!
    0637_IMG_9731 Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    we went with leap weddings they were great.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Somehow John Kevin himself read my reply on here and actually CALLED ME the other day.  

I didn't listen to the entire voicemail but I will say that I'm even more turned off than I was before. 

It's one thing to be passionate about your business but I feel like this crossed the line a bit.   
    I'm also a bit discouraged because I felt like these boards were a place to be open/honest and share opinions, reviews, etc.   I never imagined I'd get vendors calling me about posts.  

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:6846efe4-e12f-4703-8e79-13583bf28973">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Somehow John Kevin himself read my reply on here and actually CALLED ME the other day.     I didn't listen to the entire voicemail but I will say that I'm even more turned off than I was before.  It's one thing to be passionate about your business but I feel like this crossed the line a bit.    I'm also a bit discouraged because I felt like these boards were a place to be open/honest and share opinions, reviews, etc.   I never imagined I'd get vendors calling me about posts.  
    Posted by daizee32[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I know what you mean.  Ive also heard from other girls about vendors calling or contacting them after reading a review or comments about them on this board.  Its utterly disgusting and I most certainly agree with you -- it would probably turn me off to using a company if they contacted me afterwards too.

I hope you wont be discouraged from participating here still though, the more info for the rest of us, the better! :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this has nothing to do with the post but I love your dog love is bald..her big eyes are just like my autumn's eyes..lol too cute!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will keep on participating, Love Is Bald.  =) I love this ocmmunity and I agree with you 110%!  Our opions and reviews are so important!

I understand that he has a business and wants to protect it.  
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:6846efe4-e12f-4703-8e79-13583bf28973">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Somehow John Kevin himself read my reply on here and actually CALLED ME the other day.     I didn't listen to the entire voicemail but I will say that I'm even more turned off than I was before.  It's one thing to be passionate about your business but I feel like this crossed the line a bit.    I'm also a bit discouraged because I felt like these boards were a place to be open/honest and share opinions, reviews, etc.   I never imagined I'd get vendors calling me about posts.  
    Posted by daizee32[/QUOTE]
    I've had a very popular vendor TWEET about a post I did because I wasn't recommending him. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth when vendors stalk this board trolling for business. I'm sorry you also experienced it too!
  • popcorn610popcorn610 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met John Kevin at a Bridal Show last January. I saw his Demo at the Bridal Show and it was better than any I had ever seen before. I was a little hesitant too because he didn't have a website, but he explained to me that his business is a little older and he is working on launching one. However, he met with me in person and he showed my fiance, my mother, and my sister the Highlights from a bunch of weddings. He also we went through several full-length wedding films. All of it looked fantastic.

John really took the time to learn about my wedding and what I wanted in a Wedding video. We're getting married June 4th in Vermont and we're paying for John Kevin to come there and film it.  We couldn't find anyone in Vermont that offered anywhere near his quality.

I didn't win any contest, and I'm a little jealous of the girls that did. But on the other hand the only other videographer I found in the Chicago area offering as a high of quality as John Kevin Films was Orange Wedding Films - and their prices are nearly twice as high as his. I would really recommend meeting John in person before writing him off.
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    popcorn--you sound a lot like a vendor. can you tell us more about your wedding?
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I'm not vendor. I lived in Chicago for two years getting my masters degree at the Erikson Institute. I just graduated last weekend and I am now back home in Vermont for my June 4th wedding. The wedding will take place at an inn and the reception is in a barn. The theme is vintage english garden. I only use the Knot for research and ideas. I prefer using weddingwire because I find it easier to use. If you want to see my wedding website, visit it at: http://www.weddingwire.com/CampbellAndCorbinWedding2011

The password is JHC88hmc87

I'm not sure how else to convince you I'm a bride. But I just wanted to say something because John is really friendly and I'm excited to have him come out to VT for my wedding in a few weeks. 
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi popcorn, thank you for telling us more about you! what are your colors! your date is coming up soon

we've had a lot of vendors around here lately and they are not welcome. even some who sign up pretending to be a bride and only promote themselves!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:ebc89cc6-062b-4e07-a2dc-2fefa84b9dd9">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi popcorn, thank you for telling us more about you! what are your colors! your date is coming up soon we've had a lot of vendors around here lately and they are not welcome. even some who sign up pretending to be a bride and only promote themselves!
    Posted by MrsPaps[/QUOTE]

This!  I was super suspicious about your post too popcorn... we dont take too kindly to vendors, as you can see :) but welcome!
    edited December 2011
    I never really picked definite colors because I was too indecisive. Since my wedding has a vintage theme, I started off by picking a mash-up of dusty, faded colors. Then I started using my bridesmaids' dress color as a main color (dusty shale on JCrew), which is a sage/mint green color. Then I started using a lot of florals, so peachy pink then became another main color. And I loved how gray looked with both of those colors, so that is what I seem to seem to have fallen into. haha. There may be a few other colors thrown in there, but I think it adds to the antique look. I like things a little imperfect.

Yes, my wedding is getting close. I'm very excited! haha. I've been working on lots of DIY projects. Just finished making flags for my paper straws with washi tape. So easy, so cute, but very tedious to do 150! LOL.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should show off your DIY projects..i love seeing those
    edited December 2011
    Here are couple things I've been working on. Sorry I can't post more, but everything is getting pretty busy here.

• nancylewlewnancylewlew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Popcorn - hmmmm - please come back and show pics of him filming your wedding 
  • edited December 2011

I'm certainly not a vendor and I just used John Kevin in April for my wedding.   I read this thread about a week before my wedding and I got nervous cause I booked him.  But honestly- when I talked to him I just couldn't help but feel like I could trust him.  He was just so honest about everything I didn't feel like he was just trying to sell me.  I watched my highlight video this weekend and I promised myself that I would go back and write him a good review because he deserved it.  He did an excellant job.  I even posted a review in the forum.  John Kevin is really nice. I try to give credit where credit is due.  And it is certainly due here.  Now if you don't believe I'm a real bride- here is a link to my wedding highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLm673SUCIs

I understand being wary of vedors.  Its your wedding- and you should be wary.  You really only have one chance to get it right.  But rest assured that not only is the company legit it is one of the best.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions about this guy. 

Patience K.

• RisseBranRisseBran member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I used John Kevin Films for our wedding in June.  We also were told that we won a package discount from a wedding expo that I attended.  Unfortunately it has been 4 months since our wedding and John Kevin has missed SEVERAL delivery dates.  We still do not have our wedding video and have been told yet again today that "we are next".  

You only have one wedding day so I agree with those above, be careful on your choices.  Though I am hopeful that we will still get a great video the wait for it is very frustrating.  I will update you all when we actually get our video.

Mrs. Dissatisfied
  • Just an update, we still have not received our wedding videos from John Kevin Films/Videography.  Here we are on our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife and do not have our videos.  As mentioned above we were married on 6/26/11 and the contract stated that we would get our videos in 4-8 weeks.  

The $1000 prize is totally not worth the frustration of not having your wedding videos and not being able to recreate your wedding day.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:4ad3772b-cbd0-4037-9210-7e64b96352dd">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just an update, we still have not received our wedding videos from John Kevin Films/Videography.  Here we are on our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife and do not have our videos.  As mentioned above we were married on 6/26/11 and the contract stated that we would get our videos in 4-8 weeks.   The $1000 prize is totally not worth the frustration of not having your wedding videos and not being able to recreate your wedding day.  
    Posted by RisseBran[/QUOTE]

<div>Did you guys ever get your wedding video? We are having the same problem and he wont return calls or emails. Thanks for any advice you have.</div>
  • MDavino33MDavino33 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:ef86b5d9-67a7-4837-b98d-33d5b4d0c74e">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him?? : Did you guys ever get your wedding video? We are having the same problem and he wont return calls or emails. Thanks for any advice you have.
    Posted by MDavino33[/QUOTE]
    John has contacted my wife and I and cleared up our concerns. He has promised to have our final edited video to us by our one year anniversary. He has encountered several problems out of his control over the past year professionally and personally that has caused delays. He is trying to rectify the situation by providing us with raw footage while we wait in addition to the edited version he will produce in the next few weeks. While I am frustrated with the communication problems we've had, I believe he is talented and hard working and am excited to see the final product. One last note, he stated that he produced a completed video for the couple I'm writing in response to. 
  • My husband and I are on the same boat with a few of you.  We got married October 2011 and still don't have our wedding video either.  I followed up with John about 2 weeks after our wedding and when he didn't respond right away, so I followed up with him again to ensure he received my email; he finally emailed back and said it would be about 11 weeks before we can meet to do the post-video editing and that we need to send him our music selection for our video.  He also said that we could get the raw footage since it was a part of our contract and when my husband tried to schedule a time to go to his studio, he said that they were renovating their Beverly location which had their editing equipment and that my husband couldn't pick it up at that time. 

So then, my husband and I got busy with the holidays and kinda forgot about the music selection.  I followed up with John in January of this year, just to let him know we were working on the music selection.  I finally got a response a month later and said we could bring a hard drive to get the raw footage.  I've sent a few emails trying to schedule a time to go down to his studio to get the raw footage, so that we would have something for the meantime, and I haven't heard back from him since then.  So then I decided to check out his website and I saw that he had posted that he's had some family emergencies.  It's been several months since these emergencies have occurred in his life, and now I've been trying to reach him via phone and have left 2 messages with no phone call in return.  I figured he would at least listen to his voicemails since he doesn't check his email all the time (I'm one that likes to email so there is a paper trail - something to keep in mind when working with your vendors)

Now, I'm starting to get a little worried that we may never get our video and it's very unfortunate and disappointing.  The reason why we decided to go with John Kevin was because my husband and I both liked his attention to detail that he showed us in his demo reels.  We could have gone with someone else that offered both photo & video for a less expensive price then going with 2 separate companies, but because of his creative eye, we decided to go with him.  I guess we should have seen the signs from the beginning that he was not reliable; we met with John twice and he was late to both appointments, not to mention, he showed up an hour late on the day of our wedding.  Our day went so smoothly except for him arriving late which really upset me, but my maid of honor tried to keep me cool and to not let it ruin our day.  We should have just broken our contract, but by the time of our second appointment and realized this, we had already paid him 2/3 of our contract and we would end up not getting that money back.  (If he doesn't deliver a video for us, is there anything we can even do to get our money back?!)

A few other frustrating moments besides being late: 1) I asked him if he was going to attend the rehearsal dinner and he originally said yes so he can get familiar with the church, but 2 days before the rehearsal he decided to not attend because it was his wife's birthday; 2) When he confirmed the wedding time a few days before he had the incorrect time...if he didn't confirm the time with me, he would've shown up 2 hours late...maybe even 3 since he was an hour late to begin with; 3) No returned phone calls or email to let me know the status of our wedding video; 4) Not getting our video in a timely manner.

For all future brides, I suggest you go with someone that is recommended by family or friends; that usually works out the best.  If you want to look into other vendors for comparison, do your research and be aware that sometimes getting something for a less expensive price isn't worth the hassle.

Also, for anyone that hired John Kevin, did you notice that he changed his company name from John Kevin Videography to John Kevin Films?  Does that seem a little odd or leery?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_john-kevin-filmshas-anyone-used-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:e3c096ed-7a55-4b07-937c-184074d3b19dPost:4ad3772b-cbd0-4037-9210-7e64b96352dd">Re: John Kevin Films..has anyone used him??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just an update, we still have not received our wedding videos from John Kevin Films/Videography.  Here we are on our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife and do not have our videos.  As mentioned above we were married on 6/26/11 and the contract stated that we would get our videos in 4-8 weeks.   The $1000 prize is totally not worth the frustration of not having your wedding videos and not being able to recreate your wedding day.  
    Posted by RisseBran[/QUOTE]

Have you received your video yet?  When you do, could you let us know when you get it and how it turned out?  I'm really hoping and praying that he is working on our video and that we could get it before our 1 year anniversary.
  • My husband and I used John Kevin in the Fall 2011 as our videographer and we still do not have our video.  He has not emailed or called me back since the Spring 2012 (after his family/personal problems).  One of my best friends and her husbands also used him as their videographer and they got married in 5 months before us and they still do not have their video.  Any time either one of us does by chance get ahold of John Kevin we get told we will get it in a few weeks and then we don't.  We are both praying that we get the video one day, seeing as no one else videoed our weddings because we were paying someone to video the wedding for us.  Like someone else wrote before... if anyone gets their video... please post that you recieved it.... it will give the rest of us hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards