Illinois-Chicago
Options

Help! Any recommendations for wedding dress alterations in Chicago?

Hello ladies,

I purchased a Priscella of Boston dress off the rack right when she began closing her stores.  I got a great deal on the dress but still spent a good amount.  For the most part, the dress fit at the time with the exception of the hem being too long.  Now I have lost some weight.  I need my dress hemmed and taken in.  I was also hoping to slightly alter the dress and make the top of the dress into a sweetheart neckline.

I recently made an appointment at the Dress Doctor (in the Water Tower) for my dress alterations.  However, since making the appointment I have read some scary reviews.  The Dress Doctor has several great reviews but the less favorable ones are concerning.  Similarly, I looked at some alternative options including Miss Couture but I found the same thing - lots of favorable comments and then several negative comments.  I don't want to gamble with my wedding dress. 

I also stumbled upon Mary Catomy in Lincoln Park but she is booked through August.  I initially had a tailor for the alterations who worked for Priscilla of Boston.  However, this was in Houston and I moved after purchasing the dress.  

Does anyone know of someone else to go to besides the Dress Doctor that does exceptional work? 

Re: Help! Any recommendations for wedding dress alterations in Chicago?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Hello ladies,

I purchased a Priscella of Boston dress off the rack right when she began closing her stores.  I got a great deal on the dress but still spent a good amount.  For the most part, the dress fit at the time with the exception of the hem being too long.  Now I have lost some weight.  I need my dress hemmed and taken in.  I was also hoping to slightly alter the dress and make the top of the dress into a sweetheart neckline.

I recently made an appointment at the Dress Doctor (in the Water Tower) for my dress alterations.  However, since making the appointment I have read some scary reviews.  The Dress Doctor has several great reviews but the less favorable ones are concerning.  Similarly, I looked at some alternative options including Miss Couture but I found the same thing - lots of favorable comments and then several negative comments.  I don't want to gamble with my wedding dress. 

I also stumbled upon Mary Catomy in Lincoln Park but she is booked through August.  I initially had a tailor for the alterations who worked for Priscilla of Boston.  However, this was in Houston and I moved after purchasing the dress.  

Does anyone know of someone else to go to besides the Dress Doctor that does exceptional work? 
  • Options
    http://www.priscillaofboston.com/index.html

My soon to be daughter-in-law also purchased her dress at the Oakbrook Shop.  When she picked her dress up in December, the store manager gave her a list of their current seamstresses.  One of them is going to do her alterations. 

Perhaps you could try emailing their customer service link and ask if the list is still available.
  • Options
    Try Sue's Bridal Alterations in Naperville, IL.  Many knotties have had her alter their gowns. She did a gorgeous job on my gown. she created a 20 point bustle that was gorgeous. I stood in the gown for about 1.5 hours while she created it. She also did my sleeves and put the cleavage together with lace, it was very low cut.
    Do a search on this board for her, and there should be other reviews.
  • Options
    I'm in the same exact predicament. I got my dress from Priscilla of Boston and heard about Mary from a friend. Sue's Yelp reviews are on both ends of the spectrum which worries me a bit. I found a lady named Sylvia in Arlington Heights (sylviatailor.com) with better reviews. I just got off the phone with her and have an appointment for an estimate TOMORROW. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Silvia is great so far. Sweet, easygoing, reasonably priced and knowledgeable. Of course, I won't know for sure until it's over and done with, but so far so good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards