Hawaii
Options

How long 'til marriage certificate?

I'm just curious about how long it takes to get your HI marriage certificate. I know that they say it can take several months, but that if you request the extra copies, you can get them much sooner. We did request the extra copies, and sent the form in right away the morning after the wedding. I am concerned since currently DH is paying for his own private health insurance, but will be able to be added to my insurance through work once I have the marriage certificate, thus eliminating a fairly major monthly bill. The problem is that my HR person said that we only have 30 days after the wedding to bring in the marriage certificate and fill out the paperwork. Otherwise we'll have to wait until open enrollment, which is next June....yikes! Married ladies who also requested extra copies....how long did it take you to get them?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How long 'til marriage certificate?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It took us about 8 weeks to get our marriage certificates.Our WC gave us one of the decorative certificates on the day of the wedding.  She said that we could use that in the mean time.  I didn't try to use it though.. my company didn't ask for it when I changed my marital status.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, Cathy/Peachmango is right.  Even the wedding license agent said that those decorative certificates are acceptable proof of marriage for things like health insurance.
  • Options
    vanilla15vanilla15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine back in a little less than a month.  I didn't order any extra copies, but I did get married on the Big Island - I don't know if that makes a difference.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my employer said I could inform them within 30 days, and bring in the proof as soon as it came in. I don't know about the extra copies thing, but the Hawaii marriage cert place did offer faster delivery for a fee - can you go back and file for that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know employers differ on their policies, but I think it's pretty normal for employers to allow their employees to change their elections before the marriage certificate arrives.  We had to make changes to our health benefits within 60 days of the marriage date (within 30 days for life insurance) and provide proof, i.e. the marriage certificate, as soon as it came in.  If the date of the election doesn't jive with your marriage date once the certificate comes in, they would void my elections and I'd have to wait until open enrollment.Does your HR really expect to see your marriage certificate within 30 days or do they only expect you to make any changes to your elections within 30 days?  Maybe you can ask your HR office for clarification and also ask if they would accept any other type of proof.We didn't request extra copies ("expedited") ahead of time.  Our marriage certificate arrived in 5 or 6 weeks.HTH & GL!
  • Options
    lelekaylelekay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone, for the info. I'm gong to go to my HR office next week and ask about making the changes, then bringing in the certificate when we get it. Maybe I did misunderstand her the first time ( I hope so!) about needed to have the actual certificate within 30 days.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm hoping it was just a miscommunication!  Good luck and keep us posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards